New Laptop

Reaction score
Hi all. First post so treat me gently!!!

I'm about to take the big step and buy a new Win 10 laptop, Numerous questions will follow, but firstly, as I'm going to keep my "old" laptop as a backup, what's the best way forward to transfer all my current programmes/email data/music etc onto the new one.

Would it be best to transfer everything and then delete as required. Also, what is the preferred programme to use to do the transfer.

Reaction score
It might be helpful if you could let us know what the old OS was.

Most folks believe a clean install of an OS is the best way to keep it performance at maximum. I would first run the system for some period of time to see how it behaves without additional software and make sure any OEM updates, such as Bios and drivers are complete as well as any Windows updates.

Bringing the old stuff over has to be done carefully. If you are moving some device, drivers for such a device can cause problems for Win 10. If you are bring over data you might wait until you need it. If you are bringing over some software, be very diligent to research its compatibility with Win 10 and make sure you have the latest version.

I also believe it is a good idea, as best you can, to keep aware of updates, software installs and device drivers done to your system. Knowing something may have changed could help identify some problem which pops up.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. My current laptop is Win 7. My new one will be Win 10. Think i will take your advice and do the transfer one thing at a time. I'll still have the "old" one as back-up. Out of interest, what will be the best way to move all my photo's?

Reaction score
Through your network, OneDrive, or movable media. Flash drives can sometimes be problematic since Win 10 likes to control the environment, you may see messages about a drive needing to be formatted, but don't fall for that. Using the drive first with win 10 might keep those situations from occurring.

If you have made a System Image of your Win 7 install, that can be used as an archive also.

External drives compatible with Win 10 are a good idea if you want to create System images with some utility. Certain types of older external drives may have a problem with Win 10.

Reaction score
That's really helpful, thanks. To be honest I'd not thought of using a USB "stick". That would make it so much easier.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
One more question please. I've got the choice of an i3 or i5 processor within my budget. As an "average" home user just browsing etc, is it worth paying the extra for the i5?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yes.
Generally speaking in the long run you will be happier with the overall performance of an i5 versus an i3, although it is not always that simple and sometimes very difficult to actually compare Apples to Apples, due to the various models Sandy Bridge all the way to Kaby Lake as well as the actual specs of the chip including cache, Ghz rating, turbo-boost availability, etc.
But generally something in the neighborhood of 2.5 GHz in both, the i5 is going to out perform the i3

Reaction score
Go to the Intel page where it compares processors. There may be differences as far as video capabilities and some other areas. Consider what you might want to do with your system and see if it could impact your operation.

Check the i7 also, in case it may have some special capability you would really like.. ;)

Reaction score
You guys are brilliant. Many thanks. Decision made. I'm going for a 17" Hewitt Packard i5 Laptop. Decided to treat myself as an early birthday present.

Now got to face the major change to Win 10 from Win 7. Certainly keeping this "silver surfer" busy.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Getting to grips (albeit slowly!!) with Win 10. Thanks for the advice re i3/i5. Is there a dedicated thread re importing my music CD;s, just can't get it to work as I thought it should.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is there a dedicated thread re importing my music CD;s
I thought you were going to use a USB ThumbDrive to move the contents of your music folder over to the same folder on your new computer?
C:\Users\YourUserName\Music
That's really helpful, thanks. To be honest I'd not thought of using a USB "stick". That would make it so much easier.
IF you want to physically Rip new music CDs you can still use Windows Media Player to rip them (Start Button -> Windows Accessories -> Windows Media Player)

Ask a Question