New Memory Management in build 10525

Reaction score
Memory Manager Improvements:
In Windows 10, we have added a new concept in the Memory Manager called a compression store, which is an in-memory collection of compressed pages. This means that when Memory Manager feels memory pressure, it will compress unused pages instead of writing them to disk.

I find this very interesting, considering most would not have SSD's. However I am not sure that it will make a lot of difference on a new system with SSD's.
Maybe they should have implemented that new Memory management a few years ago.

Reaction score
I agree. This could have been great for the last decade, now I'm not so sure either. I guess the question is if the compression can be managed quicker than SSD access, and if so how much quicker? One of my biggest questions is how much compression are we talking about. I'm fairly certain it wouldn't be worth it for 50% or less increase. 100% or more would be worth it as long as compression management wasn't slower than SSD access rates.

I can't help but wonder if this is going to be another feature like the USB Stick ReadyBoost. Something that will be quickly outdated and hardly used.

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how it pans out. I wonder what is the lowest amount of memory can be in the system. The compressionstore is going to need it's own piece of RAM to swap in and out of, rather than disk.

Ask a Question