New Motherboard

Reaction score
I have a new motherboard and when it booted from my Windows 7 OEM disc it had Windows 7 already installed. It came up immediately with my Chrome browser tabs just how I left them when I was using the old board. Chrome is not loaded but I did an Express install from the driver disc which came with the new board and it loaded Chrome and everything else. I had to validate the OS again but it did and so I immediately began downloading Windows 10. It is downloading as I type this on my new system

I am amazed that I did not get flak from Windows about the second computer with the $60 OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I am amazed that I did not get flak from Windows about the second computer with the $60 OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium.
I assume it was because, even with the new motherboard and associated integrated components, it was very close or at least close enough to the former configuration as to not set off any alarms and sirens or that.....
Perhaps the respective "activations" were performed so closely together that perhaps the product key had not been flagged in whatever database such things are tracked.

Reaction score
I don't know about Windows 7, but I've used the XP OEM version over 3 different PC's (not at the same time, of course). Even this one technically is an upgrade from XP OEM->7->8 (8.1)->10, even though it was never installed on this PC. The only issue I had was upgrading to 8, because it had been installed on a different PC which I had reverted back to 7 on. And that was easily fixed by a phone call.

Geez, I just confused myself reading my own post. I wonder if I can still use the XP key.

Reaction score
That it came up just as it had been is a mystery. I put the disk in the "new" computer and did not have to load windows again. It was there with all the drivers intact. It loaded in seconds and showed the Chrome screen with all the tabs and bookmarks just as they had been. I had to reload Chrome and activat it but thats it.

I would add that the Windows 10 upgrade failed and then when I put the disc in I had to go through the entire Windows 7 setup. It did not come up as before.

Last edited:

Ask a Question