SOLVED New PC

Reaction score
Opinions would be appreciated.
My Grandson age 14 an avid gamer hated what he called a laggy Acer PC. He just purchased a new custom made P.C. He personally gave them the specs for the hardware he wanted. Grandad had no input, other than helping him out with the $$$ US/CAD exchange rate LOL.
Did he choose well? I know nothing about hardware, kids today are light years ahead of me. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
I have the same situation, Norton. If a 14 year old kid selected it, he has probably done better than you would have done -lol.

Reaction score
HI Norton & Dave,

i would take a look on YT before deciding what to buy, there are some good tips but take your time and most important of all, make sure all the parts fit together, it can be a bummer when they don't!. :):):)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
He just purchased a new custom made P.C.
Did he choose well?
IDK..... what did he get. Do you have a link or the specs that he either provided or that he actually received?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Personally, I would never consider purchasing a manufacturered PC.
I've been building them since 3.1 days and taught an adult education class at St Joseph College calumet campus called "Build Your Own PC" during Windows 98's rise to prominence
Used to be harder, now it's simple. Just decide what you want and then what you can actually afford.

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I thought I posted the specs. All I know it was custom built in Florida.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    33.5 KB · Views: 553

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Can you get a link to the actual CyberPower PC? Just glancing at the list, I see nothing that stands out as high on the high end side. It's more of an entry level on the high end side. Bottom line is the Price...what was the price on it?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Looks like a decent machine. A little surprised it doesn't have more than 4 gigs of memory.
I think he would have been happier with 8 gigs, although he should be able to upgrade that hopefully by just fill a couple empty slots.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
The one thing I don't like is the CPU AIO CPU cooler. The one in the parts list is just a basic AIO cooler. The AIO coolers are "ONLY" beneficial if the user is going to OC (over clock) the CPU. It this is going to be a gaming PC the GPU is also an entry level GPU for gaming.

Reaction score
He did upgrade to 8 GB of RAM. I didn't say it was a high end gamer. He is only 14 but appears to be heading in the right direction with choices. He is thrilled with the performance. I believe he paid $1,000 US

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That price may be a little steep, but.....
As long as he's happy and someone could afford it, I guess all's well.

Reaction score
Looks like a decent machine. A little surprised it doesn't have more than 4 gigs of memory.
I think he would have been happier with 8 gigs, although he should be able to upgrade that hopefully by just fill a couple empty slots.
It has 8GB of conventional memory and that Optane thing whatever that is.
The one thing I don't like is the CPU AIO CPU cooler. The one in the parts list is just a basic AIO cooler. The AIO coolers are "ONLY" beneficial if the user is going to OC (over clock) the CPU. It this is going to be a gaming PC the GPU is also an entry level GPU for gaming.

It is an overclockable 'K' series cpu... I wonder if cost prevented it being an I7. I am not familiar with liquid cooling set ups but I do know the killer way is to have a video card with liquid cooling capability. I agree about the 1060 video rather than a 1080 but again cost may be a thing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry all I saw on the image / spec sheet that was posted above was

Capture.PNG

Maybe there was a times two (2x) that I didn't see and that Optane thing is a small M2 solid state drive which as I understand it is suppose to work with the Intel Management Engine and Rapid Storage Technology to speed up things, which I imagine to be something sort of like ReadyBoost, just Intel's own version.

Reaction score
I think you are correct. I don't see the point of it. If the motherboard has an NVME capable M2 slot and that Nvidia 1060 is not using all the PCI lanes then why not just have a 480Gb NVME M2 drive and forget about the HDD until Xmas!
Even in Canada those drives are getting affordable.

The machine seems unbalanced to me...but that could be pricing.

There was a '2' over at the right edge of the attachment.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Aha...... Qty of 2.
Shows how observant I am.
Usually I notice those things