New Redstone 4 release today as well as a new Redstone 5 for skip ahead folks

Regedit32

Reaction score
I thought they ditched the Skip ahead model.

I'll just stick with RS4 for now. One step at a time so far as testing goes for me :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't think so, although far be it from me to try and forecast or predict what logic Microsoft might be using at any given time.
I believe they closed the former "Skip ahead" model for the previous release shortly after offering it as an option.
I expect them to do something similar this time around once they have a sufficient number of guinea pigs participating in Redstone 5, it'll likely be offered for a brief period of time and then closed again, now that development has forked between RS4 and RS5.

As RS4 grows closer to a public release and IF they continue their 6 month public "upgrade" theme of April and October, I would expect RS4 to be feature locked in March for an April public release and will likely be named version 1803 (March of 2018), and RS5 to then go on for all Insider participants for a possible October 2018 release to the public with a possible version of 1809 if it is feature locked in September.
Although there is some rumors floating around that they may resort back to an annual release so we may not actually get RS5 until the new year.
Bottom line...... "who knows"?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Got the normal insider preview on my main insider physical machine

Capture1.PNG

And just for shear aggravation, I grabbed the "Skip ahead" RS5 version for my VM

Capture.PNG

At this point, they appear to be pretty much identical. I expect that will change as now they'll of course be receiving different build updates as time progresses

Reaction score
Build 17101 downloaded ok but has at least 2 bugs. Sleep does not work but instead Hibernates (I do not want). Defrag stopped working with build 17093. Microsoft seems to like replacing good code with bad.

Reaction score
Some idiot decided to set Sleep to Hybrid Sleep. Just change this setting to off and all is ok. Fix for bad defrag is stop using Microsoft Defrag.

Reaction score
Fix for bad defrag is stop using Microsoft Defrag.
I used to manually use defrag a lot but with Win7 and later haven't needed it as much, Windows has gotten better about automatically doing it. I sometimes use it when moving files from one drive or partition to another. A good free alternative has been Defraggler from www.piriform.com. "Back in the day" with slower drives keeping them defragged was more important.

Reaction score
I used to manually use defrag a lot but with Win7 and later haven't needed it as much, Windows has gotten better about automatically doing it. I sometimes use it when moving files from one drive or partition to another. A good free alternative has been Defraggler from www.piriform.com. "Back in the day" with slower drives keeping them defragged was more important.
I am computer obsessive so I defrag often and now using Defraggler too. Happy I figured out how to get Sleep to work right again.

Reaction score
Thought it was time to have another go at the Insider program. My trusty laptop whaich was an Insider between build 94xx and the Fall creators update has been running fine and is totally upto date. Turn on the Insider thing and within a coupld of minutes it started to down load and install.

Got to the final boot point and up it came with a big green screen saying Boot device Inaccessible. tried again. Tried 4 times. Gave up. Plenty of disc space, plenty of memory, just doesn't like me any more! this would have been 17101.1000.

Is there a link to directly download Insider releases still ?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not sure if this applies but it was updated in the blog a couple days ago.
[ADDED 2/20] Post-install at the first user-prompted reboot or shutdown, a small number of devices have experienced a scenario wherein the OS fails to load properly and may enter a reboot loop state. For affected PCs, turning off fast boot may bypass the issue. If not, it is necessary to create a bootable ISO on a USB drive, boot into recovery mode, and this this will allow bypass.
Under "Known Issues" https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...t-build-17604-skip-ahead/#v7KeTYFqTVqjSTri.97

Reaction score
Thought it was time to have another go at the Insider program. My trusty laptop whaich was an Insider between build 94xx and the Fall creators update has been running fine and is totally upto date. Turn on the Insider thing and within a coupld of minutes it started to down load and install.

Got to the final boot point and up it came with a big green screen saying Boot device Inaccessible. tried again. Tried 4 times. Gave up. Plenty of disc space, plenty of memory, just doesn't like me any more! this would have been 17101.1000.

Is there a link to directly download Insider releases still ?
If you are re-joining the program, Tim, I think what you are doing is the best way. Once you have downloaded, and installed an insider build, whatever its age, you will then find through the update settings that you can start again with the latest downloads.
There si no official direct link, other than that.
If you browse, you will find several "pirate" , (not sure if that word really applies to something that is free, anyway!) pages where it can be done, but that is your personal choice.

Reaction score
Thank you Trouble and Dave. I see that the Insider build via the link in Trouble's post is 17025. I will try it and see if Windows update will then provide the update build.

Or maybe I'll just wait until RS4 goes live. Dunno.

Reaction score
As you probably know, you will still need to have an insider build installed, in order to start again with getting more. through the insider updates on your computer.

Reaction score
17101 is not good. it did not allow me to update a program I have used for many years and created more trouble. I tried going back to the last release and waited, waited, waited until I finally gave up and switched to my backup drive. I would like to go back a long ways before the many bad changes in Windows 10. I see someone commented about people that want Windows ME. I do not think anyone liked that release. XP was good and only needed a little updating.

Reaction score
Forums > Windows 10 Forums > Windows Insider

As it says just above the first post, this is the BETA/Test version of Win10 called IP/Insider Preview, there usually are problems in such an OS, always have been always will be until it is finished and released. The main thing is to use Feedback and let the programmers know what exactly is not working, names and numbers.

Reaction score
As you probably know, you will still need to have an insider build installed, in order to start again with getting more. through the insider updates on your computer.
Surely you can install an Insider build on top of a production build and always have been able to.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Surely you can install an Insider build on top of a production build and always have been able to.
Pretty sure that, that's how I've done it every time, whenever I've started from scratch.

Reaction score
Rather than screw with my production/work/main machines I took Microsoft's advice to heart when joining the Technical Preview [renamed to Insider Preview] and have the IP version on 2 older computers, never have to "install on top of another". I've kept an eye on the IP forums and would wager that a lot of problems appear to be with newer hardware, mine are a Dell OptiPlex 755 and a Dell Inspiron 530S, only problems were with the same 2 versions of the onboard video adapters but an ATI Radeon 2400 HD card in each took care of that [nice to save some parts as salvage].

Reaction score
If you have an ISO, sure. But, if you wish to join the insider program, through the normal settings - Update and security - Windows Insider program, then you are faced with the "Get started" message, which takes you through the hoops. You finish up downloading and installing at least one build before you can go further.
Sorry. I assumed that is what the discussion was about.

Ask a Question