new ssd and new windows 10 usb

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have installed a new ssd and have purchased windows 10 usb, but can get the pc to recognise it so i can install.

Any help woud be great guy's

Reaction score
Having done this on a new machine recently...assuming that you are doing a completely fresh install.

Plug in the SSD to the first SATA port.
boot the machine into the BIOS setup.
Set USB as the first boot device.
Reboot with the W10 USB plugged in

Now you'll get Windows 'installer' load from the USB drive and go into the disk partitioner. It will generate 3 partitions if you just let it go ahead. A small one, a hundred Mb as system reserved, a bigger one about 500 Mb as Recovery and the rest as C:\
The installer will format C: as NTFS and do what it does to the two small partitions. Then load the OS onto C: and get going.

If you are NOT doing a fresh install.
Plug the new SSD into a spare SATA socket ( or, if you have the cable, into a USB socket, and clone the current OS from C: onto it. Paragon make good free software to do this.
Then unplug the original C drive and plug in the SSD to that socket.
Boot the machine. Install the W10 USB drive and run setup from it.

After this you can install the old C drive ( which will now be a different drive letter into a spare SATA socket to retrieve any data.

Reaction score
It would be helpful to know something about system.. Will this be a UEFI install?

The newer systems can boot quickly which might make it hard to hit the function keys during boot..

Reaction score
Is this an ancient desktop mobo? What is the machine anyway?

Have you got a DVD drive? If so rewrite the USB stick onto a DVD. If the machine can't boot from DVD or USB then I think you might have to do as I suggested before.

Install the SSD in a spare SATA port. Clone your current drive onto the SSD. Plug the SSD into SATA 0, boot and then install the USB by just saying setup. Not an ideal solution imho.

Reaction score
the desktop is only a couple years old, but there is no option to boot from usb, only hardrive or disc

Reaction score
I am really surprised by that. Do the cloning thing then...or swap the USB W10 for a DVD one. They both exist at retail.

Reaction score
You need to make sure the USB drive is connected to the system before it boots. Then, very early in the boot process, start tapping either the Bios setup key or the Boot Device key to enter one of those. If you go into the bios, there may be an option to open the Boot Device Menu and on my ASUS motherboard you have to be in the EZ bios configuration.

Then just set the USB drive as first priority and it should boot. We still don't know if you system is UEFI capable but any system less than 10 years old should have a USB boot option. Make sure and check the bios setup to make sure the USB ports are enabled during boot.

Ask a Question