SOLVED New System...

Reaction score
I just ordered this new system. It is scheduled to arrive on Nov. 16th. Maybe because the processor is not released until Nov. 15th, but we will see when it actually arrives.

The one thing I don't understand is the Wireless where is shows 2 entries for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. As far as I know there is only one Wi-Fi adapter so why are there two listed with different Bluetooth versions?

New System.jpg

Reaction score
My "guess" is the 4.2 version is an added upgrade and someone forgot to edit the documentation to remove ver 4.0.

I note on this page, it only shows the 4.2 version.

I think you should just wait and see what arrives.

Reaction score
I will probably get a new Wi-Fi card for the unit since it is showing 1x1 and 487 Mbps instead of 867 Mbps. I didn't know if there was something special which would need to show two versions to get to 2x2.

Someone on the Dell site said there were having problems with that wireless card, which I think is a wireless ac 3160. But as you say, when it arrives I will know for sure and probably end up changing out the card. I notice they are the smaller card, only 16 mm wide..

Thanks for checking and I agree they probably just missed the change...

Reaction score
I will probably get a new Wi-Fi card for the unit since it is showing 1x1 and 487 Mbps instead of 867 Mbps.
I would not bother unless you have fiber to your home and get more 487Mbps Internet access speeds.

Reaction score
You are probably correct but I do have other systems on my local network which perhaps could use the faster speed. My Internet is 65 Mbps but the AC router and all the systems have the Wireless ac 2x2.

There are not many situations, if any, that do actually produce the faster advertised speeds. I will try doing some type of speed test prior to changing out the card.. I do not know if the 2x2 configuration would give a more reliable wireless connection.

Thanks..

Reaction score
The new system showed up today and it does have a Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165.

It also has an infrared Camera and light emitter. Looks like I will have to find out what "Windows Hello" is... :)

I suppose the downside is the system BSOD three times in the first 30 minutes. Right now it looks like it was related to Disk Management but I will check for sure if it continues. Currently installing 1607...

Reaction score
We knew it had Dual Band Wireless, just not how many! 3165 does not tell us anything either, but at least it is AC which ensures the best future proofing.

3 BSODs is certainly not good. If it keeps happening, I would contact Dell support to at least get on record about this problem.

Reaction score
The 3165 is just one version. The original question was because of the 1x1 designations which would mean it was not a Dual Band... All sorted now.

The infrared seems interesting. It is used for facial recognition and more accurate than using a normal camera. I might try it but I worry, having seen all the problems with folks not being able to log in, that it may in some way inhibit the normal logon method.

No BSODs now since the original surge. 1607 installed without incident so I expect a smooth road ahead..

Thanks.

Reaction score
Please keep us updated on the "biometrics" (IR facial recognition) feature. I am curious about speed of access, consistency (what happens if you wear glasses this time and not the next, for example, or if you tilt your head one way or the other), and what it uses as a backup, if any. That is, does it still require a password as a backup?

Reaction score
I haven't set it up yet but they refer to a 15 degree angle on the face. They also suggest wear your glasses and on occasion don't wear them. Seems like it might be able to tell certain variances.

There is an option to use a password if the facial recognition fails after x number of tries. I would think you always will need a password, especially if a problem occurs and you need to use the recovery options to get your system back. I assume the facial recognition does not operate without Windows and I need to check if you have to be online for it to work.

I will post back after I try it out...

The BSOD happened, as I mentioned, when the Disk Management utility was started. I was looking at the drive and it is an SK Hynix SC308, which is a M.2 SATA SSD. I have not heard of that company before so if I get any more BSODs, which I haven't, I will look into replacing it.

Thanks again..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hynix has been around for years selling memory modules similar to the way Crucial does (branding)
I've purchased a fair amount of Hynix memory over the years and I've even found some in OEM computers.
It seems that graduating to SSDs would fit there business model

Reaction score
especially if a problem occurs
Yeah, like the camera dies.
I assume the facial recognition does not operate without Windows and I need to check if you have to be online for it to work.
On line? Not sure what you mean. On-line to me means connected to a network. I don't believe that would be necessary. It would be just like it is now with the typical password prompt when using a "Local" account. Windows is running in the back ground but you remain stuck on the log in screen until the correct credentials are entered. In this case, the correct reference points on your face. Once entered, then Windows grants access to other features, including full network access and starts your other programs.

Reaction score
It took me a while to complete the facial recognition setup but it seems to work fine. I tried online and with Airplane mode enabled (offline) and it picked up both ways. When it gets to the lock screen you can see messages about checking who you are, and if successful, logs you in with no password or PIN required.

The setup seems to need a PIN established because it asks for that to complete the setup to verify it is you. The instructions indicate the PIN will be used if the Facial Recognition fails.

During and after the setup, you have the option to improve the recognition At which time you can modify your look, say with and without glasses, to give the system a wider framework to use.

As far as the system itself, no more Blue Screens. I did find a Bios update and installed that and a couple of other drivers.

Thanks again..

Reaction score
The facial recognition is going great. It is faster than typing in a password. I will be watching during the next big update to see if it gets messed up.

Today I tested to see what would happen if the facial did not work and it told me to remove the lock screen and I was back at the normal logon...

It appears a Dell utility, they run to Register new systems, caused the Blue Screens. Haven't had one since that initial startup.

Reaction score
I am using fingerprints to log in. works like a charm as well (my laptop does not have a camera) and is much faster than typing pin or password....

Reaction score
Maybe we should concentrate on which part of our anatomy we would be willing to put at risk..! ;)

I am glad there is nothing on any of my systems worth anything to bad guys.....

By the way, I did replace the 3185 Wi-Fi card with the 8260. A new driver may have helped, which Dell has had two of in 3 days, but constant errors were driving me nuts. The new card, and possibly driver, corrected the situation.

In addition to that, since I now have a 1 TB M.2 SATA SSD I finally feel the system is worth what I paid for it... Those WHEA-logger 17 errors were very frustrating.

Ask a Question