New to Win 10, no Hibernate?

Reaction score
Been using Win 10 a few weeks now, noticed there is no Hibernate option. I sometimes used Hibernate on Win 7. I see Win 10 does have Sleep but if I remember correctly on Win 7 Sleep was not quite the same as Hibernate?

Appreciate any info on this subject.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hibernate is still an option in Windows 10, unless you have taken steps to disable it
Disable Hibernation (from an elevated command prompt)
powercfg /h off
Enable Hibernation (from an elevated command prompt)
powercfg /h on
Right click the start button and choose "Power Options" from the context menu.
Right side of window -> right column -> "Additional power settings"
Link "Change plan settings"
Link "Change advanced power settings"
Should produce this

Capture.PNG

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Reaction score
Hibernate is still an option in Windows 10, unless you have taken steps to disable it
Disable Hibernation (from an elevated command prompt)

Enable Hibernation (from an elevated command prompt)

Right click the start button and choose "Power Options" from the context menu.
Right side of window -> right column -> "Additional power settings"
Link "Change plan settings"
Link "Change advanced power settings"

Here are the differences between sleep mode and hibernate mode........
https://www.howtogeek.com/102897/whats-the-difference-between-sleep-and-hibernate-in-windows/

I use sleep mode exclusively (manually) on my system. I just click the start button, then click power button, then I choose sleep by clicking it. I can be gone for 2 minutes or 2 days. Works like a charm. To wake up my system I just click my mouse and in less than 2 seconds I'm up and running.

Thanks to both replies, that explained all my questions.

Reaction score
I had set my laptop to have hibernate as an option. It no longer does so, and the option to enable it is no longer present.
I am really mad. I can no longer hibernate my laptop. I had found out how to implement this. When I went to close down yesterday to go to a meeting, I didn't have time to wait for updates, and had to make it Sleep, which uses battery power. In some circumstances, like if I had to evacuate during an emergency, this would have been a really big problem. I suspect it was from a Windows 10 update, unless it was something Dell did when they had it to replace their defective speaker.

It is also not environmental friendly to force the computer to use power when I'm not using it.

Reaction score
Dell told me how to get hibernate back.
At the command prompt, type:

powercfg /h /type full <Enter>

It should return a message like:

The hiberfile size has been set to: 1659109376 bytes.

Reaction score
Ways to Automatically Hibernate Windows 10 on Scheduled Time. – When you need to power off your PC keeping your activities safe so that it can be restored later, Hibernation is a handy option. You can manually switch to Hibernate pretty easily as this option appears within Power Options of the control panel.

Reaction score
Power schemes are normally part of the video adapter driver. There is an option to add hibernate to the list but if that does not work, you may need to reinstall/update your video driver.

Since you came from WIN 7 this will probably not effect you but the Fall Creator's update caused problems for hibernation on some systems.

Ask a Question