New Update Problem

Reaction score
My W10 was updated yesterday evening.
This morning I logged in as usual, and Windows loaded normally. After about half an hour, programs failed to load with a variety of lengthy messages I could not understand. I decided to use the age old remedy and closed down. When I re-booted, Windows said "Analysing your PC". After a while it said "Automatic repair" with 2 options "Restart" or "Advanced options" - but neither would function, and indeed the whole keyboard was locked. Stymied by MS...

I had no option but to do a hard closedown and reboot. I always get the same messages "Preparing automatic repair" Diagnosing your PC" "Automatic repair" then freeze.

I tried the w10 disk I made when first installing W10 and changed the boot order but always the same result.

Anybody ant suggestions? Has anyone successfully tried to get help from MS?

Regedit32

Reaction score
You should not need to change the boot order.

Insert the DVD, then restart computer.

Just after the splash screen that tells you to press a certain key to enter Bios, you ought to next see a black screen with the message, Press any key to boot from cd/dvd or words to that effect. Press a key quickly as you only get a second or two to do this.

That ought to take you to a screen displaying language, edition, etcetera ... Click Next

Then on next screen click Repair the computer located in bottom left corner of screen.

You then choose Troubleshoot > and the option you want, whether that be to use a restore point, system image recovery, startup repair etcetera.

Reaction score
After about half an hour, programs failed to load with a variety of lengthy messages I could not understand
If you can't understand the messages, it is a good procedure to copy the message and provide them with your question. Someone here may know exactly what they mean.

This morning I logged in as usual, and Windows loaded normally.

Do you feel the system had rebooted after the update?

I had no option but to do a hard closedown and reboot. I always get the same messages "Preparing automatic repair" Diagnosing your PC" "Automatic repair" then freeze.
It sounds like something has messed with the BCD store and not giving you access to the recovery tools. Windows updates will modify this info in order to set the system to finish the update install but it seems that process can fail.

Be careful about which Build version you use to repair the system. It is best to use the one which was installed at the time of the problem. You can download and create the install media you can boot to and run the same repair operations you should have been able to run from the system.

Ask a Question