SOLVED New user created but cannot sign in

Reaction score
Hello,

Edition: Windows 10 Home
Version: 1703
Build: 15063.674

I can create a new user from my Admin account and the new user appear as an option on the sign in screen, however, when I enter the password for the new user, it takes me back to the sign on screen again i.e. it does not sign in the new user. I think this is the first time I create a new user since the 1703 update, If you have some ideas I could try, I would be graeful.

Kind regards,
Cuong Dang

Regedit32

Reaction score
Did you see any error message when it failed to sign-in? For example, 'The user profile service failed to sign-in'.

This can occur when the Default profile is corrupted which results in any new user added not getting its own user-class DAT files, and without those nothing loads into memory to activate the account per se.

A way around this is to re-create the Default Profile directory while signed-in as Administrator.
  • Restart computer and sign-in to a User account with Administrator privileges.
  • Open File explorer and navigate to C:\Users
  • In the top ribbon select View then check the Hidden items box
  • Now right-click on Default directory and rename to Default.OLD
  • Next, create a new Default directory inside C:\Users
  • Open the new directory then inside this create the following sub-directories:
    • C:\Users\Default\AppData
    • C:\Users\Default\Desktop
    • C:\Users\Default\Downloads
    • C:\Users\Default\Documents
    • C:\Users\Default\Favorites
    • C:\Users\Default\Links
    • C:\Users\Default\Pictures
    • C:\Users\Default\Saved Games
    • C:\Users\Default\Videos
  • Next, open your new AppData sub-directory and create the following sub-directories inside it:
    • C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local
    • C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming
  • Close the File Explorer
  • Press Windows Key + S to give focus to your Search field
  • In the Search field type Command
  • In the Search Results locate and right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
  • If prompted by the User Account Control click Yes
  • Now you need to copy the NTUSER.DAT file from the User account you cannot sign-in to to your new Default directory. So for example, if your username for the account you cannot sign-in to is John, then at the prompt you would type the following:

Code:
xcopy C:\Users\John\NTUSER.DAT C:\Users\Default

Press Enter key to execute

Now create a new account, reboot computer and you ought to be able to sign-in.​

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for this.

There was no error message, it simply goes back out. Should I try your Default profile correction method even when there was no error message ?

Reaction score
Did you see any error message when it failed to sign-in? For example, 'The user profile service failed to sign-in'.

This can occur when the Default profile is corrupted which results in any new user added not getting its own user-class DAT files, and without those nothing loads into memory to activate the account per se.

A way around this is to re-create the Default Profile directory while signed-in as Administrator.
  • Restart computer and sign-in to a User account with Administrator privileges.
  • Open File explorer and navigate to C:\Users
  • In the top ribbon select View then check the Hidden items box
  • Now right-click on Default directory and rename to Default.OLD
  • Next, create a new Default directory inside C:\Users
  • Open the new directory then inside this create the following sub-directories:
    • C:\Users\Default\AppData
    • C:\Users\Default\Desktop
    • C:\Users\Default\Downloads
    • C:\Users\Default\Documents
    • C:\Users\Default\Favorites
    • C:\Users\Default\Links
    • C:\Users\Default\Pictures
    • C:\Users\Default\Saved Games
    • C:\Users\Default\Videos
  • Next, open your new AppData sub-directory and create the following sub-directories inside it:
    • C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local
    • C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming
  • Close the File Explorer
  • Press Windows Key + S to give focus to your Search field
  • In the Search field type Command
  • In the Search Results locate and right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
  • If prompted by the User Account Control click Yes
  • Now you need to copy the NTUSER.DAT file from the User account you cannot sign-in to to your new Default directory. So for example, if your username for the account you cannot sign-in to is John, then at the prompt you would type the following:

Code:
xcopy C:\Users\John\NTUSER.DAT C:\Users\Default

Press Enter key to execute

Now create a new account, reboot computer and you ought to be able to sign-in.​

Regards,

Regedit32

Thanks for this.
There was no error message, it simply goes back out. Should I try your Default profile correction method even when there was no error message ?

Regedit32

Reaction score
It may be worth trying all the same, however as you did not see the error message appear it probably is not the actual issue in this case.

It would do no harm trying that though to see whether or not it improves things for you.

Reaction score
Thanks Regedit32..

You are right, the NTUSER.DAT in the Default profile was corrupted, all the Default sub-directories appear to be there so I did not re-create them,what I did was rename the Default profile file to NTUSER.DAT.OLD then copy NTUSER.DAT from a user profile who can sign in, then create the new sign in. When I logged in as the new user, there were a number of apps on the taskbar that need to be deleted and re-pinned, but this is not a big deal.

Cheers,
Cuong Dang

Ask a Question