New Windows 10 Disappeared my NAS Drives AGAIN!

Reaction score
All NAS drives finally reappeared after last reboot (took several days). Tonight Windows 10 installed an update (to build 10586.71) and all of my NAS drives disappeared from the Network section of Windows Explorer!!

Is this behavior expected from Windows 10? Very discouraging!

Reaction score
Update - it has stopped working again! Tried the sc.exe patches from omiklik, and I could see all my NAS drives immediately. That lasted for several days, but this morning it's back to the same old problem - only 1 NAS drive available in Windows Explorer, but clearly there in the Network Devices list. Any more suggestions?

Reaction score
Do you know the network location to enter in Explorer? If you enter that network path what messages do you get?

I have seen a message about not being able to connect but I let it sit for a couple of minutes and it did eventually give me a message asking for log in info.

How you system reacts is probably determined by the type of "NAS" drives you have and how you are running your current system in regard to log on options.

Reaction score
I have two WD MyCloud devices with hard local IP addresses. Is the "network path" the same as the IP address? Where do you enter it in Explorer? I usually see them in the "Network" tree in the left pane of Explorer, but not now. Thanks!

Reaction score
I don't know how MyCloud devices are setup, but the network path is something like \\MyCloud which may need a specific location on the drive or not. You can add log on info to the end of the address but I don't know how to do that. This goes in the path box at the top of the Explorer window.

I will do some research on your device to see if I can find any relevant info as to the network path to be used.

Reaction score
It looks like you may be able to use this address also, depending on which unit you have. This would be an admin page. Using the Network path of \\wdmycloudEX4 would also work. If you have a user account you might take a path like \\mycloudEX4\YourUser

I can't enter the web address since it creates a link. but this info should be in the manual for the device.

If you are running with a Microsoft Account logon, you need to use the full e-mail address for the log on info.

There should be some others showing up in the thread which may have better info. Using shortcuts as you referred to may be a temporary fix but you need to work thru the problem..

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a similar problem in that Windows 10 will not see my NAS.
It shows up in the devices and printers as grayed out, but I can't map it.
I've tried the cmd thing but has not worked.
Reset the router,etc.
XP used to be great with this stuff, now Win10 is as useful as my Mac.
Is there a network too that can "see" connected devices?

Reaction score
First, do you know the network address of the device as was indicated prior in this thread? You may need the address for the Admin page or for your user access.

My NAS does not grey out when turned off but disappears. If yours is greyed out I would suggest you remove the device and let the system find it again. Probably rebooting the NAS would help.

I have never needed to Map my NAS but different devices may require special handling. If you have taken the steps you mention, there may be something on your system which needs to be reset.

Reaction score
I have the IP address,
I can access the NAS via the web page, the Mac can see the NAS, but when I add device or network location, the PC cannot find it.
I have removed the devices (grayed out) and tried to add, but again does not see anything.
Have rebooted everything PC does not see it.
I'm open for suggestions

Reaction score
When I try to map it as a drive, as was done when it was working, I get the network logon failed message.

Reaction score
When you go to the IP address does it ask you to sign in and if it does, what happens?

If you know the name of the device use the \\MyNAS\myuser and of course substitute your info. It should open a window to allow the entry of the username and password. If it does not, what does it do.

If you cannot map the drive, maybe the connection from that system is compromised.

Reaction score
the Mac has access to the NAS so the connection is ok
when trying to map, I get "a device attached to the system is not functioning" however the Mac is connected
I have rebooted both the NAS and the router, all devises on the network is functioning but the PC does not see the NAS
why I don't see the NAS when browsing the network is baffling

Reaction score
When I do "Map network Drive" and use "connect using different credentials", I do get a logon screen.
However, when I enter the details, the message "The network logon failed"
The Mac however, has no trouble connecting using the same logon details.

Reaction score
I can't remember exactly what I did before but you might try, if you are running in a Microsoft account, your e-mail complete address for a user. I always get confused as to which user to use for specific situations. Luckily my password is the same for the Microsoft and Local accounts.

Reaction score
OK, tried that and did not work
are there any 3rd party network browsing tools that might work?

Reaction score
Have you tried opening a CMD window and typing a net use command? Something like:

net use Z: \\nodename\sharename /user: <username> <password> /persistent:yes

Reaction score
it no work.
how do you get windows to browse the network?
all other connected Macs do it, but not windows.

Reaction score
What error do you get when running the NET USE command? Plus, have you tried it with the IP address instead of the nodename?

Alan

Reaction score
Also, go to "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Centre\Advanced sharing settings" and check that network discovery is enabled.

Reaction score
today I decided to connect my laptop to the Ethernet cable and see if I could connect to the NAS.
guess what, it works, my POS PC still can't connect, so there is another tid bit of information for you guys.
one minute the PC is all connected and fine, then without doing any setting changes, the message comes up connection has failed.
I may go back to Win 8.1 on the PC or reinstall Win10, at least I know that it is not the NAS or router.

Ask a Question