No able to connect to some website

Reaction score
Hi, I bought a new Windows 10 computer, received it last Tuesday, but simply cannot get onto some sites, i.e. Game Boomers, Steam and Gog. Also can't connect to a lot of virus protection sites, managed to ge Avira but tried other ones as well and could not even get to look at Nortons. The links to sites come up my internet connection is good but when I click on the various sites I get a message saying this "
We can’t connect to the server at steamcommunity.com.

If that address is correct, here are three other things you can try:

Try again later.
Check your network connection.
If you are connected but behind a firewall, check that Waterfox has permission to access the Web.
I;ve tried everything I can think of and rang the company I bought the computer from, they couldn't understand it either and thought it possible that I had a corruct Windows 10. the versiion I have is Win. 10 1909
Really don't want to send the thing back can anyone suggest a solution
Thanks.Jo.

Reaction score
Hi Jo,

first you should do an upgrade to the latest version (currently 2004) of Win 10 and then get back to us if that doesn't solve your problem. :)

Reaction score
Might try downloading and using Chrome as well. I had never heard of Waterfox ( just looked it up as I read your post) Must have been installed by some one, what brand is the PC?

What AV is running? Hopefully it is Windows Defender security (includes everything you need.) Imho no need for any other AV

Reaction score
I would try starting Waterfox in 'Safe Mode' in case there's an extension that's causing problems.

You could also try Chrome browser. If you still can't connect the next question would be - are other devices in your network able to connect to those websites? This will help us determine if the issue is with your network or your computer.

Reaction score
Steam community is a host/server for many game sites. I read on the web that it is down right now _- no explanation given.

Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't even get onto come of Microsoft's own websites or links. Edge isn't installed and refuses to and I tried to upgrade to version 2004, this computer is 1909 Win 10 Pro but when trying to upgrade the computer I got a message saying the product key was wrong (which it definitely isn't!), So it looks like I'll have to send the computer back as it certainly seems like a bad and corrupt copy of Win 10. All a nuisance as I bought it in Brisbane and we live on Gold Coast!
I am certainly not computer illiterate, been using computers since way back to Win 3.1 when you had to just about go into Dos and type everything in, I usually manage to fix my own computer but this time.....can'tdo it.
Anyway thanks so much for all your answers, really appreciate it.
Jo.

Reaction score
Hi Jo,

if you have all your data (pics/docs etc) backed up, you could try a full reset which may solve the problem?. :)

See also.

Reaction score
I would do a full reset. If it is unable to perform a full reset, I definitely would send it back.

Reaction score
Once again, thanks so much for your replies, unfortunately I've found out that this computer can't be reset I spoke to a Techie, who tried to reset it remotely but couldn't even connect to it remotely (and he always has been with other computers), So it will be returned to the company I bought it from so will be without a computer for a few days, drat it! He said it looked as though there was a problem with the installation of Win 10.
Jo.

Ask a Question