No ethernet connection.. Limited WI-FI

Reaction score
Hi guys..

Apologies if this has been covered a million times already but I'm at my wits end. My Internet through ethernet and wifi were both working fine yesterday and now nothing..
I've tried troubleshooting, Driver installs, ip config, firewall settings, and spent hours reading forums but just can't sort it.
Hp pavilion laptop.

Where do I go from here?!

Help gratefully appreciated and desperately needed

Simon

Reaction score
First things first...temporarily turn off the Firewall on your AV software. If that restores access, you will need to uninstall / re-install your AV software. If that does not fix it...read on:

If you have access to another computer, download the W7/W8 drivers for your laptop LAN / Wireless devices from the HP Website, and copy them to a USB. Then, on the laptop that is playing up, turn off the automatic driver updates by following the instructions here: http://windowsinstructed.com/disable-automatic-device-driver-download-in-windows-10/

Once you have done that, you can manually re-install the drivers from the USB that you prepared on the other PC.

I have had this several times with customers where Windows figures there is a better driver than the one you're using, and proceeds to install it...however the new driver is either not compatible or otherwise munted so I always find it better to disable the automatic driver updates and DIY.

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure of the laptop model so I'm trying the realtek pci fce family controller drivers

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that didn't work for you. In terms of finding out your Laptop Model, there is usually a sticker on the underside of the Laptop with the model details, though in some cases this is hidden away in the battery compartment.

Reaction score
Device manager will show you the make of your network drivers. If your laptop uses reasonably new Realtek hardware then the latest W10 drivers on their site should work...if that is the problem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If your Ethernet was working fine and now it isn't, it is almost a given that at some point Windows Update or some other source installed driver(s) that are less than optimal.
For the most part, laptop drivers should be acquired from the computer manufacturer's website there are sometimes a bit proprietary and specific chipset drivers like from Realtek or Atheros or Broadcom, etc, may not always work well, if at all.
You should probably first try using device manager, to roll back the drivers until you can't roll them back any more and see if that brings them on line again, if not then see what HP has in the way of drivers for your specific model number.

Reaction score
Well!.. The engineer came around and tested everything and it appears there was a fault with their equipment. Neither the Ethernet or wifi was working which seemed odd.

I'm back online now thankfully

I really appreciate the input though guys, thank you!!

Reaction score
went through this video and got the wifi issue fixed at my dell inspiron running windows 10.

Ask a Question