No Internet Connection

Reaction score
Okay, I've tried to read these "solutions", and I'm still not certain they apply to my situation. After purchasing a new computer and upgrading to WN 10, I had allsorts of trouble getting my scanner and printer to work -- finally got that solved, but then when I try to log on to the internet I get the "Hmmm ..." message. Ironically, my grandson was visiting over the weekend and since he is a computer guru he solved my problem -- however, it has now surfaced again. I can't access the net or e-mail, and my wife who has an I Pad and is using a ireless router can't access the net or e-mail either. My grandson is not available for a few days, so I am hopeful someone can give me suggestions.

Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Bob and welcome to the forum.
I took the liberty of generating a new thread with your post, as having it tacked on to the end of that other thread, especially as it is marked solved already may not have been the best place for you to attract potential helpers.

Without knowing what your grandson might have done to have previously helped you out you may want to start with the basics.
Shut down all computers connected to your network and then shut down all devices supporting your network.
That would include any hubs, switches, routers (wifi or other) as well as your internet service providers device (which may be your wifi router as some, in my case Comcast, are one and the same).
Remove the power cord from the network devices as they may or may not have an actual on and off switch.
Pour a cup of coffee and have a few sips, give it 5 minutes or so.
Now plug your ISPs device back into AC power and give it at least a full minute or two to finish booting and check the lights and make sure all are the proper color to indicate a connection and activity. You may just be having trouble with your provider and a simple victim of circumstance if they are having trouble in your area...... it happens. You can give them a call and they can tell you if any such problem exists.
NOW.....
Turn on the next downstream device, that may be your wireless router if it is not incorporated into your Internet Service Providers supplied device. Give that another minute or two to finish booting and likewise, examine the lights for any trouble.
Have your wife restart her iPad and see if a simple network reboot provided any resolution for her device.
IF not then you may have to actually hard reset the devices supporting your network, in which case, some indication as to what you have, who your ISP is and such might be helpful to further assist you.
IF you only have a single router / modem that was supplied by your ISP, then a phone call to them might be your quickest option, they can reboot and or reset it remotely, clearing and refreshing the configuration info.

Reaction score
^^^ Trouble types faster than I do. Get the network stuff working and the iPad up first then lets diagnose the PC

Ask a Question