NO OS

Reaction score
I recently decided to do a "reset this PC" on my windows 10 Asus laptop. The result was a black screen and an unhelpful message stating that my OS could not be found. I tried to boot into bios but the result was a ten second hum and a return of the screen. I downloaded the Windows 10 OS from the Microsoft website onto a pen drive and have instructions how to proceed, but I cannot get into it. It just will not boot up. When I press the start button or ctrl/ alt/ delete I just get the asus screen for a few seconds and then the message. Might this mean the hard drive has been damaged? How should I proceed?

Many thanks.

virgil aeneid

Reaction score
You may have to press one of the F buttons to boot from USB/CD, on my laptop it's F7 but yours could be different (F8 or F12).

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Try this....power down your laptop, unplug the AC charger, the remove the battery, now press and hold the start button for 15 seconds. Now plug in your AC charger and power up (with out the battery).

Reaction score
I have tried all that, but it hasn't worked. The problem is it is not booting up. It hums for a few seconds then the message returns. Anyone else any ideas?

Reaction score
Sounds like the MBR (master boot record) is missing. I went to Microsoft and made a (something-I'm missing a word here) tool called .iso on a flash drive then booted from USB to install it.
If you have a rescue disk made from the last item of a system image that should also boot from USB.
Windows USB/DVD Download Tool is what I couldn't think of. Run a search for it. It worked for me when I lost boot . It includes the entire Operating System of Windows 10. Worst case is you may have to purchase Windows 10 again to download what you really need. I did this once.

Last edited by a moderator: