SOLVED No Sound (The Audio Service is not running)

Reaction score
I Can't take it anymore...

Hi,

I was running a boot-time virus scan on my machine because my virus program kept flagging that it blocked something nasty every time I opened up Opera.

Everything was going according to plan but it got stuck somewhere for 4 hours - needing to use the machine and caving from frustration I hit the reset button and figured I would just restart the scan before I hit the sack... no dice.

The pc would get back into windows, so I went to my DAW, which is not my office PC and began downloading a Win 10 onto my external.

It finished after 12 long hours, and my pc booted up today.

But now I have no Audio.

There is a little round red X on the speaker icon next to my LAN connection icon bottom right where the date and time are and when I hover over it I get the message " The Audio Service is not running"

If I click on the speaker it immediately asks me if I want to run a diagnostic troubleshooting wizard which repeatedly fails stating : "An unexpected error has occurred. The troubleshooting wizard can't continue."

The error details are:

Package ID: AudioPlaybackDiagnostic
Path: C:\WINDOWS\Diagnostics\Index\AudioPlaybackDiagnostic.xml
Error code: 0x80070002
Source: Engine
User: THE-PRACTITIONE\The Practitioner
Context: Elevated

When I go to "Services" to try restart the process I get the error:

"Windows could not start the Windows Audio service on Local Computer.

Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion."

When I google the diagnostic error code I get taken to windows update, so I checked my updates, I can't download using the windows function so I downloaded from windows support, but it gives me a zip folder full of DLL files and I have no clue what to do with them.

When I google the error code from the services window, I get thousands of forums and discussions and warnings that I am entering dubious web territory when ever I try to check out the content or follow links posted.

I don't know what to do.

System restore fails, I have also never set a restore point
I can't refresh the PC either I get an error
I can't run SFC/SCANNOW I get the error " Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service (even in safemode(s)"
I can't run CHKDSK (even in safemode(s)

I have updated drivers, rolled back drivers.

I still have no sound.

Please help.

Thanking you in advance
betterinblue

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
At this point it sounds, from your description of your issues that you have some serious corruption of some important system files.
I think I would try a in-place repair install.
That is to say...... upgrade it again, overtop of itself from within your current install, just double click setup.exe in the installation media. Just be sure to check the little box to get updates as part of the upgrade process.
That will generally keep all your programs, data, drivers and such safe, but.....
I would still create a disk image before going forward.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Installation media can be obtained here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-WaTVja5C7z2Vs7q82apCPg)()

If you already have the ISO you can simply mount it (double click it) from within Windows 10 and run setup.exe from the virtual drive created when mounted.

Neosmart has a pretty good article on it here https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/
You can skip the first couple paragraphs where they are promoting their recovery CDs and drill down to the meat of the article below.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You bet.
Keep us posted as to how you are managing the problem.
I wish there was something easier or magical that I could recommend but it does sound like you have some serious OS file issues.

Ask a Question