No Wifi option after upgrading to Win 10

bec

Reaction score
After upgrading to Windows 10 I no longer have any WiFi capabilities. My laptop is HP Pavilion Intel Core i3 which I purchased in November 2014.
In Windows - Settings - Network & Internet I do not have a WiFi option listed. However, when I go into Control Panel - Network and Internet - Network Connections I see my wireless service is listed and media state is 'enabled' but states IPv4 & IPv6 are 'not connected'. It is Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160. The MAC Address is 30-3A-64-13-2B-80.
When I diagnose this connection I get the following message:

There might be a problem with
the driver for the Wireless
Network Connection adapter.

Windows couldn't automatically bind the IP protocol stack to the network adapter.

Please help!!

Reaction score
All I can say is that I am having the exact same problem. Tells me my wireless network is enabled but I am not connected Not happy

bec

Reaction score
Have you had any luck in restoring WiFi? I haven't yet. Its driving me crazy.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Does your computer include a wired Ethernet connection that you can use to connect to your Router with a standard RJ45 Cat 5 cable?
If so perhaps downloading the driver from here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/75442/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-3160 (third one down for your wireless card) might help.
Alternately
Try the latest driver for your wireless card from HP, sometimes a laptop needs the specific proprietary driver from the manufacturer.
There might be a problem with
the driver for the Wireless
Network Connection adapter.
Have a look in Device Manager, expand network adapters, select then right click the problem wireless adapter, choose properties, from along the top select the driver tab, see if the Rollback Driver button is available to you,
If so, give that a try.
You may have to do that more than once in order to get all the way back to the original factory driver that apparently worked under Windows 8.

bec

Reaction score
Does your computer include a wired Ethernet connection that you can use to connect to your Router with a standard RJ45 Cat 5 cable?
If so perhaps downloading the driver from here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/75442/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-3160 (third one down for your wireless card) might help.
Alternately
Try the latest driver for your wireless card from HP, sometimes a laptop needs the specific proprietary driver from the manufacturer.

Have a look in Device Manager, expand network adapters, select then right click the problem wireless adapter, choose properties, from along the top select the driver tab, see if the Rollback Driver button is available to you,
If so, give that a try.
You may have to do that more than once in order to get all the way back to the original factory driver that apparently worked under Windows 8.
Thank you so much for your reply(ies). I appreciate all options!
I don't have a wired Ethernet connect, I am travelling and only usually connect to public WiFi connections. Its only since the Windows 10 upgrade that my computer doesn't give me the option of connecting to a wireless WiFi connection despite my network connections stating that it is connected and enabled. I am not computer savvy but when I tried what you mentioned in Device Manager the options were not listed.

I can only access the Internet via my phone so I can't download anything from the internet via my computer because there are no wireless WiFi connection options in "connect" tab of Action Center.

Ask a Question