No Windows Start Button

Reaction score
Just had this happen from Friday. Bring the mouse over the Windows start button and it turns red. Left click on it and nothing happens. Right click is fine. Now have to shut down and move around in Windows in other ways. Have hooked up my Logitech mouse to USB, but still no go.

This is an upgraded Dell Desktop that has been updated from the original 8.1. The update to 10 was done while I was downstairs watching TV, not something I clicked on to start. Seems this is not an unusual problem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Seems this is not an unusual problem.
Unfortunately, it seems to be a common problem, with no details as to a definitive fix.
Try booting the machine into Safe Mode.
You can either use the Power Icon on the sign-in screen or the Power Icon that can be produced by using Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination, while holding the shift key on your keyboard, choose restart.
Navigate throught the advanced trouble shooting option to Startup Setting and choose #4 (Safe Mode) when you arrive at the appropriate screen.
See if your start button works in Safe Mode, then give it a minute or two and reboot back to Normal Mode and see what happens.

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble, haven't been able to do that yet, but will try it later. Win10 seems to be full of unsolvable problems. It wiped out my audio on my laptop at work and that hasn't been remedied yet.
Back to you later!

Ask a Question