Non-latin character Keyboard Layouts have disapeared

Reaction score
Greetings, I'm the IT-Technican for a Business of about 130 people.
now we have a new collaborator from Greece and needs to switch his Keyboard Layout to Greek from time to time.

this was working now for a few days and suddenly today the Greek Layout only puts out Latin Characters. The Greek (with Greek characters) Layouts have disappeared.
only Greek Latin is shown which of course returns Latin Characters (as seen in the attached picture)
keyboardbug.PNG

does anyone have any idea?

i tested it on another Win10 PC we got and it's the same problem... was there a buggy update maybe?

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Schroom,

Welcome to the Forum.

I've not come across this issue myself, so I uninstalled my Greek Language pack and reinstalled and set up keyboard layout to see if I get the same issue.

Everything worked fine without this Greek/Latin issue so here is what I did to install it.
  • First I clicked Start > Settings > Time & language
  • In the left pane I selected Region & language then clicked the Add a language option

Sample image

Greek.png

• That took me to the following screen where I Scrolled down and selected Greek

Sample image

Greek1.png

• This returned me to the previous Screen where it mentioned a Language pack was available, so I clicked the hyperlinked Additional date, time, & regional settings

Sample image

Greek1a.png

• That took me to this screen where under the Language panel I clicked the hyperlinked Change input methods

Sample image

Greek1b.png

• That brought me to this screen where after selecting Greek I clicked its hyperlinked Options

Sample image

Greek2.png

• That took me to this screen where I clicked the hyperlinked Download and install language pack

Sample image

Greek2a.png

• That downloaded a 42 MB pack and took several minutes to install. Once all was done I clicked Close on that window then backed up to the screen where you see Greek and clicked its options again which allowed me to choose an input method for which I chose Greek Polytonic then clicked the Add button.

Sample image

Greek3.png

That all worked fine and Greek layout is fine too. For some applications like Microsoft Word you need to click the Flag icon in tool bar to select Greek for your input method.

If you're not using those Greek/Latin items in your image, I'd suggest uninstalling those first then installing Greek again as above.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hello Regedit32 and thanks for the reply,

yeah your way works and is good enough for us as it is only a single user who needs this. So it is ONE solution, but not really THE solution.

The "add Language" - packs are as far as I know whole language packs for the entire OS, meaning this is what I use if I want to change the the entire GUI of Windows into a specific language.

I am from Luxembourg so I pre-install language packs for English, German and French so every user can work in the environment he prefers.
also we have 3 keyboard layouts installed on default for every language pack.

So people can switch between 3 UI Languages and on every language they can chose between, Belgian(Comma), German, and French(Switzerland) as these are the 3 common Keyboard layouts here.

now for our new collaborator we onyl want to add the Keyboard layout "greek" w/o adding a new UI-language.

we don't want to offer any other languages in order to keep it a bit disciplined.

So what I don't like in this solution is that our new collaborator could change his User interface completely into Greek. That is not what we want. we want him to have only the Greek keyboard layout. nothing more.

okay I can prevent it by just not downloading the language pack, and prevent users from doing so via GPO, but still i don't think that is pretty "clean".

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say :)

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Shroom,

Yes I understand you would prefer to simply click one of the three UI languages you prefer to install for all users, then go to Options and click Add a keyboard and select Greek not Greek Latin which currently is the only option in Windows 10.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any way around this other that what I all ready suggested.

If you do come across a way round this issue let me know.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
mh, bummer this worked fine until windows 7 tho...

well thanks anyway for your work, I'll try to keep this post updated if I find a solution.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes it was fine in Windows 7.

I'm not sure why they stopped this option - but its probably just something they will introduce in time and perhaps not a high priority right now.

You could always contact Microsoft to express interest in them returning this feature via the Feedback-Hub app built into Windows 10.

Ask a Question