Nonadministrating administrator

Reaction score
Just bought a new laptop with 10 preinstalled, created an account, (the only one) I am listed as administrator. All of the folders on pc are read only, whenever I try to change thier properties I am told that I cant and I need administrator access, since I only have 1 account and it is administrator why cant I change things.

Reaction score
Microsoft and their collective flawed wisdom. Your guess is as good as mine pertaining to why they do this.

Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Windows
Taking ownership of system files or folders in Windows is not a simple task. Whether you use the GUI or the command line, it takes far too many steps. This method works in Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10, and it maybe works in XP, though you won’t need it there.

Thankfully somebody created a registry hack that will give you a menu item for “Take Ownership” that will handle all the steps for you. We found this many years ago, and since then it’s been hosted here for everybody to use.
Read more and follow the steps in the link to take ownership. Never before have I needed to use such methods and have found a need in using this more than once in Windows 10. I know it's appalling, but it is what it is.

Reaction score
Cliff's post may be an answer. But your post begs a question. There is no way that MS would have made "All of the folders on pc are read only". Some system files are partially secured - easy to overcome, in the remote circumstances that it should be required. It is , imo, a good intentioned thing. Without it, I would guess that experimenters would be deleting, transferring, moving, you name it, folders, ad infinitum, and sites such as this would incre4ase tenfold with requests for help.
Where did you buy the computer? I would suggest that the "folders" you refer to have been mishandled by the previous owner/seller and that person(s) has ownership.
Best action is to take it back and get it sorted out.

Reaction score
I have nt tried cliffs solution yet, but it is a brand new laptop with a clean install of 10 on it. The only folders that I can change the properties on are new folders tthat I have created on the desktop. Even the folder created by windows to store pictures is read only.

Ask a Question