NONE WORK / Screen Saver / Lock screen SS / Turn off display after 5 mins

Reaction score
I did an upgrade from Win 7 , and Screen Saver / Turn off display after 5 mins was working under Win 7 64 bit
As my title suggest Screen Saver / Lock screen Slideshow / Turn off display after 5 mins are not working under Win 10
The Lock screen Slideshow is there when Win 10 starts but only shows ONE image, never moves to another.

THINGS I've done so far to get any of these working ...Screen Saver / Lock screen Slideshow / Turn off display after 5 mins

I’ve turned off all the Wake on lan functions
Tried different folder/ images for the lockscreen Slideshow ,window spotlight and picture
Tried to set new power options , was able to get SLEEP to show up in "Start" as it was not there before, but once click , the display DID turn off, but wouldn’t turn back on with mouse movement keyboard presses, had to do a hard reboot. Win 10 started without issue and the SLEEP mode was no longer aviable via the power "start" menu.

Anyone have a clue how to get all of these working. Really would like my display to turn off after 5 mins , and the Screen saver to work , the Lockscreen I'm not fussed about

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've upgraded 3 machines from Win 8.1 to Win 10 (2 laptops and a desktop). On the laptops, the screensavers and power settings seem to be working fine. However, on the desktop, I'm seeing the same thing that sutex is, and everything I've attempted in order to get either function working has been wasted effort.

Reaction score
I've upgraded 3 machines from Win 8.1 to Win 10 (2 laptops and a desktop). On the laptops, the screensavers and power settings seem to be working fine. However, on the desktop, I'm seeing the same thing that sutex is, and everything I've attempted in order to get either function working has been wasted effort.

Ok so Win 10 is a Tablet/ laptop OS , meaning if your Box doesn’t have a battery Then your PC will not attempt to save power, via screensaver or your display powering down/off.

As a side note, I had to enable/disable , my bios settings that turned off my USB power when the PC shutdown. This was already done under Win 7. As Win 10 on first shutdown had my headset and mouse glowing in the dark. ( dead give away).https://www.windows10forums.com/members/tomheaverlo.2223/

Reaction score
Discovered another fluke with laptops sort of related to this. Even though the laptop screensaver works and it shuts down ok (hibernates after closing the lid) it sometimes powers itself up later without being told. I knew one time it was not running when I put it away, but then opened my bag to find it hot and the battery mostly used up.

Reaction score
There's very little about this issue of ScreenSaver not working for , Win 10, I’ve disable lock screen see no point as it never changes picture ,

Really Microsoft I want my PC to turn the screen off, after the Screen-saver has run for a few minutes , how hard can that be !

Reaction score
sutex... I found something on another forum that might be of interest regarding this issue (it solved the problem for me!)

Use Device Manager to disable "HID-compliant game controller" (usually under Human interface devices). It seems this is feeding endless interrupts to the system, which is preventing the screen saver and any related process from initiating.

Interestingly enough, game devices that I have attached still function after disabling it.

Hope it solves the problem for you as well!

Reaction score
Ok cheers , I have a stack of stuff in there ,a lot of repeats , but only one says HID, will investigate further

Update.... Unplugged my Joystick , and the screensaver started , have Lockscreen disable
but only 3/4 pics in and , a messages come on the black screen saying
Slideshow has encounter and error,

Will try other settings , but for now , it's "maybe" on its way to working.

But yes at-least your solution is on the right track. thanks for the help .

Last edited:
Reaction score
tomheaverlo:
Worked! Thank you so much for your post. It solved my problem. Thanks!
-tinman

RHH

Reaction score
sutex... I found something on another forum that might be of interest regarding this issue (it solved the problem for me!)

Use Device Manager to disable "HID-compliant game controller" (usually under Human interface devices). It seems this is feeding endless interrupts to the system, which is preventing the screen saver and any related process from initiating.

Interestingly enough, game devices that I have attached still function after disabling it.

Thanks very much - I have tried all these solutions and still no screensaver on my desktop. Will Microsoft ever fix this issue?

Reaction score

This is on the right track!

Reaction score
In Device Manager, I disabled the "HID-compliant whiteboard" and the screen saver and power settings all work great now.

Reaction score
Hello

When I look under Device Manger I see "Human Interface Devices" (HID) and I get the following listings.

HID compliant consumer control device
HID compliant system controller
HID compliant vendor defined device (5 identical listings)

Which one should I disable to get my screen saver to start working? I really, really don't want to screw up my computer.

Thanks for any help.

Kay

Reaction score
Hello

When I look under Device Manger I see "Human Interface Devices" (HID) and I get the following listings.

HID compliant consumer control device
HID compliant system controller
HID compliant vendor defined device (5 identical listings)

Which one should I disable to get my screen saver to start working? I really, really don't want to screw up my computer.

Thanks for any help.

Kay

Don't know exactly what happened, but I opened the "Human Interface Devices" and expanded all the files yesterday. Today when I turned on my computer, the screen saver started working.

Ask a Question