SOLVED Norton, Defender and Update failure related issues, 0x80246008

Reaction score
Hi! First post, want some guidance.

After a clean Windows 10 install upgrading from Windows 7 Home Premium, my Comcast-provided Norton Security Suite was nowhere to be found. I reloaded it, seemed to load fine but then said LiveUpdate could not run (even though I could run it manually) and shut it down. I didn't write down the version number of the Norton, but it is the latest version offered for dwnload by Comcast.

So I used the Norton Removal Tool to remove all elements of Norton and activated Windows Defender, I figure it gives me some protection while I wait for the Norton issue to be resolved. That was fine, and when I run a file update fromw ithin Defender, it works. But not so through WIndows Update.

I now have, over just a 72 hour period, a list of 15 failed Windows Updates. All for KB2267602, all with error code 0x80246008. Since 7/30 Windows Update has not tried to run any other updates except for these.

I'm not too worried about Defender not being up to date, since I can update it from within Defender itself. But I find an interesting similarity with Norton being unable to run LiveUpdate automatically, but letting me run it manually, and the exact same thing happening with Defender.

Any thoughts?

-Doug

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Doug and welcome to the forum.
On the upside....
Since the initial install of Windows 10, I believe there has only been two actual Windows Updates (KB3074678) & (KB3074686), so if you have both of those then that part is good. Maybe a third depending on your configuration (KB3074683).

The problem with Defender not auto updating with Windows Update, I haven't seen or heard about until now.
I'll do some searching and if I see anything potentially helpful, I'll get back to you on it.

Reaction score
OK, resolved with the simple expedient of Comcast getting the new, Win10 compatible version of Norton from Symantec. Update now ignoring any Defender updates, all working fine on that score.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Heck of a way to have to resolve an issue with a native app, which is practically a core component of Windows 10.....
By installing a third party software application.
Anyway, good to hear that you've manage to get past it.

Reaction score
doug v thanks for the post, i had the same problem. i tried everything, and your fix worked. thanks!!!!

Ask a Question