Not Responding

Reaction score
Running Windows 10, but this happened on Windows 7 as well. Often when using any program in my computer I get a Not Responding message. Most of the time I just wait it out and then proceed. Anyone have any idea how to stop this from happening? It's annoying.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
These types of performance issues can be a result of all sorts of issues.
Generally they might be a result of horsepower (available system resources) versus, how much multitasking is going on, what is starting and running (even in the background) that might be consuming system resources.

Often I would recommend some simple TLC.
Use something like Ccleaner from Piriform (free portable version) to clean up the disk, then manually run defrag a couple time with a full shut down and startup between.
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

You may also want to check and confirm that you have plenty of free space available on your disk and you might want to check it for errors
Elevated Command Prompt and type
chkdsk C: /R
hit enter
Answer the prompt in the affirmative "Y"
hit enter again and reboot the system and let the native Check Disk utility run (it can take a very long time) and see what it finds if anything.
The results can be found in the Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> Applications Log -> simply do a find for chkdsk

Ask a Question