SOLVED Not so impressive PC repair - video issues

Reaction score
Short preamble: After replacing a hard drive on my HP Pavilion windows 10 and ptting it back together there was a slightly raised bit close to the hard drive - I hadn't 100% reseated it. I decided to leave it until I could be bothered to disassemble it all again. After my backspace key stopped working and cleaner made no difference I decided to take the back off and have a look. To my horror I noticed that the keyboard is completely buried under a mass of mother board and preety much the whole computer.

Now the problem, i reseated the drive and put it back together and the power wouldn't work, no amount of solutions worked so I replaced it. Booted up with checksum error (plus current video error) so reloaded the bios. Boots up ok but the video is knackered. There ia an odd extra part of the top section on the bottom, the resolution is crazy low and the colours are limited. In addition on odd occasions the screen does this odd fade thing then corrects itself back to the original problem.

split.jpg

fade.jpg

I have no idea how this is even possible. Is this definitely a graphics card problem? Or could it be mother board, or please, there is a software solution. I already uninstalled the driver for display etc.

Reaction score
Reseat the cable from the video card to the screen. It looks like it has been moved out of place. If that does not fix the problem, then you have a bad screen. Your pictures definitely point to a bad screen (I have seen plenty of these issues).

Reaction score
Also, what type of cable connection do you have?. It looks like it is VGA but you might have HDMI?. Try changing the ends of the cable around regardless what type it is!. :)

Reaction score
Looking at the first image posted shows rounded corners [whitish lines] which does suggest a Notebook/Laptop.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the replies. All cables seated 100%. I ran an HDMI to monitor from laptop and it works fine. Screen is knackered.

I'm wondering whether the power glitch knocked it out. Very weird coincidence.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Possible. It could be the 'interface' between the motherboard and the LCD panel is the issue, some are a small printed circuit board and some are on the motherboard itself. But there is a key combination of Fn + another key, usually an F key, that toggles between the LCD panel, a port for an external monitor or projector or both at the same time. I have Notebooks with the VGA and a couple that have both VGA and HDMI ports, have not yet seen one with a DVI port and there may be models with the DisplayPort, would need to see either the Notebook or its manual to know.

Reaction score
Nowhere mentioned the replacement of the PSU in the OP other than the HDD.

that the keyboard is completely buried under a mass of mother board and preety much the whole computer.
Sure indicator of a laptop

Looking at the first image posted shows rounded corners [whitish lines] which does suggest a Notebook/Laptop.
that was the reason for me of thinking of a laptop.

Ask a Question