Not sure about dual boot win 10 & win 7

Reaction score
Hi guys can someone please give me some advice

I understand that after upgrading to windows 10 i have a month to return to windows 7 if i want to, then i think windows 10 takes the serial number of my windows 7 and then that serial number will no longer activate windows 7.

If that's correct and i dual boot windows 7 & 10 and windows 10 has used the windows 7 serial number will the windows 7 not activate

Reaction score
Your interpretation is incorrect.

Yes, after installing Win 10 over your Win 7, you have 30 days grace period if you want to go back to Win 7.

No, you never lose your Win 7 product key. It's yours to keep.
You can always use your Win 7 product key together with your Win 7 installation DVD to reinstall Win 7 any time you want.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If that's correct and i dual boot windows 7 & 10 and windows 10 has used the windows 7 serial number will the windows 7 not activate

If you install Win 10 over your Win 7, your Win 7 product key is tied to the install.
You cannot install Win 7 to anywhere else using the same Win 7 product key.

Reaction score
If you install Win 10 over your Win 7, your Win 7 product key is tied to the install.
You cannot install Win 7 to anywhere else using the same Win 7 product key.

So if my windows 7 product key is tied to the install of windows 10

you say i cannot install using the same win 7 product key so if i want to dual boot i will have to buy a new win 7 product key

Reaction score
There is no "reliable " source to buy a genuine Windows 7 software with genuine product key.
The danger is ....... you don't know if you have the real McCoy or a counterfeit.

I would keep the current Win 7 you have and go and buy a Windows 10 from retails stores, or from Microsoft.

Reaction score
Hi i have a spare OEM version of windows 7 that's not been used. but if i use that one i dont think dual booting is worth the bother unless i have a lot of apps that will not run in win 10

Ask a Question