NUMs key pad

Reaction score
My NUMs keypad stopped working on two seperate desktop systems about 2 weeks ago. Both are running win 10 Pro. I suspect that the fault happened after a Win 10 auto update but I have not been able to pinpoint. Has anyone have the same problem/how to solve? Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Anything unique about the "NUMs keypad".
Typically they are incorporated into the desktop keyboard although there are separate independent numbers keypads that are sold.
Do the keyboards or number pads require their own drivers be installed?

Reaction score
Anything unique about the "NUMs keypad".
Typically they are incorporated into the desktop keyboard although there are separate independent numbers keypads that are sold.
Do the keyboards or number pads require their own drivers be installed?
The NUMs key pads are part of the Keyborads in both instances. One KB is a microsoft 600v20; other is a logitech vx700. I have downloaded MS drivers for the MS keyboard but have not done anyting on the logitech unit.

Reaction score
The NUMs key pads are part of the Keyborads in both instances. One KB is a microsoft 600v20; other is a logitech vx700. I have downloaded MS drivers for the MS keyboard but have not done anyting on the logitech unit.
The logitech KB is model Y-RJ20, what I gave u before is the mouse model, sorry.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can't find anything specific regarding drivers on either of the two models you mentioned.
Can we assume they are both wireless devices?
When you strike the "NumLock" key on the keyboard, is their a light that turns on and off indicating that the number pad is activated?
Can we assume that you do not have a problem if you substitute a normal USB wired keyboard?
Is there any indication in Device Manager that there is a problem with either, under keyboards or Human Interface Devices?
Have you tried removing them from Device Manager and then rebooting to see if they work after a reboot?

Reaction score
I can't find anything specific regarding drivers on either of the two models you mentioned.
Can we assume they are both wireless devices?
When you strike the "NumLock" key on the keyboard, is their a light that turns on and off indicating that the number pad is activated?
Can we assume that you do not have a problem if you substitute a normal USB wired keyboard?
Is there any indication in Device Manager that there is a problem with either, under keyboards or Human Interface Devices?
Have you tried removing them from Device Manager and then rebooting to see if they work after a reboot?
Both systems indicate that drivers are up-to-date; however, the desktop with the logitech KB/mouse receiver/mouse do not show any compatebility with Win-10, however logitech worked fine before and after Win 10 installation until a couple of weeks ago when both system KB NUMs keypads quite working. MS KB is laser; logitech is wireless. NUMs lights on both toggle on/off. I had already subbed a dell USB wired KB and still same problem. No problems indicated on Device Manager; removed (uninstalled) devices, rebooted and still same problem. I do really appreciate your help. Tomas

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
until a couple of weeks ago when both system KB NUMs keypads quite working
Any chance you can test that theory by using a system restore point prior to that time and see if the devices resume working again?

Reaction score
By any chance have you checked the BIOS to make sure that numlock is still on? It's a long shot but doesn't take long to check.

Reaction score
My NUMs keypad stopped working on two seperate desktop systems about 2 weeks ago. Both are running win 10 Pro. I suspect that the fault happened after a Win 10 auto update but I have not been able to pinpoint. Has anyone have the same problem/how to solve? Thanks

Reaction score
I have posted my problem 5 times and nobody has yet replied with an answer or??
Again - My NUMS keypads on 2 desk top keyboards, one microsoft, other logitech, both wireless, stopped working last March when I first posted my problems. I have tried other keyboards on these systems and they have not worked, so I know it is
Any chance you can test that theory by using a system restore point prior to that time and see if the devices resume working again?

Reaction score
I have posted my problem 5 times and nobody has yet replied with an answer or??
Again - My NUMS keypads on 2 desk top keyboards, one microsoft, other logitech, both wireless, stopped working last March when I first posted my problems. I have tried other keyboards on these systems and they have not worked, so I know it is
Unfortunately I do not have a sys restore file that goes back far enough to test.

Reaction score
Unfortunately I do not have a sys restore file that goes back far enough to test.

Reaction score
Will check BIOS, re - NUMS keypad. samote
Other than not being turned on there, I don't have a clue as to why it doesn't work. I have never heard of this problem before just because of an update/upgrade to the OS.

Reaction score
Will check BIOS, re - NUMS keypad. samote
Other than not being turned on there, I don't have a clue as to why it doesn't work. I have never heard of this problem before just because of an update/upgrade to the OS.
I opened the BIOS screens, but I could not find any reference to "numlock". Can u detail instructs how to find, please? Thanks samote

Reaction score
I googled the problem and came up with a couple of different ways to toggle the Numloc. Evidently there is a problem with "some" computers to get Numloc to stay on. My HP laptop has the Numloc toggle in the BIOS and it stays on.
If you got a book with your computer it should have a section dealing with what is in the BIOS, read it FIRST.
NOTE: some of these instructions have to do with editing the registry so make SURE you back up the registry before fiddling around in there.
1-
http://winaero.com/blog/enable-numlock-logon-screen-windows-10/
2- http://www.howtogeek.com/244606/how-to-enable-num-lock-automatically-when-your-computer-boots/
3- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-numlock/8670a8e1-d93c-410a-bc43-13ba483d319e

Contact the computer manufacturer to know on how to enter the boot menu.
Enter the Boot Menu.
Under the Boot Device Menu select System Setup.
In the left side of the screen expand the category POST Behavior.
Look for Num Lock Key option.
Hit Enter and make changes to Turn off or Turn on the Num Lock.
Exit and reboot the computer.

Reaction score
I googled the problem and came up with a couple of different ways to toggle the Numloc. Evidently there is a problem with "some" computers to get Numloc to stay on. My HP laptop has the Numloc toggle in the BIOS and it stays on.
If you got a book with your computer it should have a section dealing with what is in the BIOS, read it FIRST.
NOTE: some of these instructions have to do with editing the registry so make SURE you back up the registry before fiddling around in there.
1-
http://winaero.com/blog/enable-numlock-logon-screen-windows-10/
2- http://www.howtogeek.com/244606/how-to-enable-num-lock-automatically-when-your-computer-boots/
3- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-numlock/8670a8e1-d93c-410a-bc43-13ba483d319e
My two computers in question are desktops. I will try getting into the BIOS first before I attempt to mess with the registry, assuming that the registry instructions also apply to desktop models. I thanks you for your troubles in helping me out, I appreciate it and I will keep you informed.

Ask a Question