Nvidia GEForce GT 710 incompatible with Windows 10

MFL

Reaction score
I had a Radeon HD5450 card on my Windows 7 desktop running 2 monitors and installed Windows 10. After installation, only one monitor worked. According to AMD, the HD5450 is incompatible with Windows 10, so I installed a GEForce GT 710 instead. Still, only one monitor worked. So I rolled back to Windows 7 and exchanged for and installed a new GEForce GT 710 which immediately ran the 2 monitors. The new monitor's package said that it runs on Windows 10. However, when I tried to reinstall Windows 10 and clicked on the "Get Windows 10" icon, the message popped up that the GT710 is incompatible with Windows 10 so Windows 10 will not install.

I replaced the GT710 with the old Radeon and tried to install W10 again, but continue to get the same message about GT710 even after having removed the GT710 card. I then uninstalled all the Nvidia programs, but the same Windows 10 GT710 message is still there.

Is there a way to coax Windows 10 into checking my computer again now rather than waiting until it does it on its own at 3:00 AM? What if it still displays the same negative message?

Incidentally, Nvidia's W10 drivers will not download, Nvidia says, while the card is using W7 drivers. Catch 22.

Reaction score
Are you using GEForce Experience to get the drivers?

Doesn't your mobo have integrated video to use temporarily while persuading the uptodate Nvidia drivers to load?

MFL

Reaction score
I downloaded the W10 drivers from Nvidia (368.39) and tried to install them. They would not install, its message said, unless Windows 10 was already installed.

MFL

Reaction score
Windows 10 did its early morning check and still says that Nvidia GT 710 is incompatible with Windows 10 so Windows 10 will not install - even though there is an AMD HD5450 in the computer and all Nvidia programs have been uninstalled.

I guess the next step is to reinstall Windows 7 from my old backup and start again.

Reaction score
Nvidia has Windows 10 drivers for the gt710. Right on there website it lists compatible cards. I know people running it with Windows 10. If your OS is 64 bit, download these drivers http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/87789 , Download/install DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). Run DDU in safe mode. It'll reboot to Windows. Install the Nvidia driver, reboot.

The amd 5000 series went legacy a while back, so it isn't compatible.

MFL

Reaction score
I guess the reason I was surprised that AMD HD 5450 is incompatible with W10, as AMD says, is that I had previously upgraded two of our computers with HD 5450 cards from W7 64 bit to W10 64 bit without a problem, and the computers are each happily supporting two monitors.

I have found two 2016 Nvidia driver downloads for W10 64 bit - 368.39 and 365.19. 368.39 will not install, said the Nvidia message, unless the computer is already running W10 - which it is blocked from installing. I may try 365.19, but probably will reinstall my backup W7 instead to get rid of the persistent erroneous W10 message that GT710 is on my computer and is incompatible.

Reaction score
I guess you might have to. I had to barrow the video card from my old gaming PC a couple months ago and use the onboard graphics (ati hd3000). Windows 10 found drivers no issue. A few weeks back, I had to borrow that card again, and this time, no deal. Not only would Windows 10 not even recognize the onboard graphics (which means it wouldn't check for drivers), none of the drivers on AMD's website would install.

BTW, there are other options to using multiple monitors with one VGA port. A USB to VGA adapter will run 2 monitors mirrored or extended.

Reaction score
I ran into this same problem when upgrading my Dad's computer to Win 10. He had an onboard Nvidia graphics chip and Win 10 said it wasn't supported. I installed my old AMD Radeon 4850 but Win 10 upgrade still gave the same message that Win 10 did not support the NVidia chip. I ended up creating a bootable USB stick and installed Win 10 this way. Upgrading through Windows updates would result in the error message for the graphics chip. The USB install worked perfectly.

Reaction score
The Newegg site show that card as Win 10 compatible. I did not see anything mentioning 2 monitors.

Download the Nvidia drivers and then disconnect from the Internet.

Then uninstall the current video card in Device Manger and select remove all drivers for the device. Then reboot the system and it will install the Microsoft Basic drivers, which will only run one monitor. Then install the downloaded Nvidia driver for that card. If you use the monitors in the correct ports they may work if they accept the outputs on the card.

Ask a Question