Odd problem after crash

Reaction score
Recently suffered a crash and tried to recover system, it did not go to plan.

I have myself on my desktop as administrator with full privileges. My wife also has a set up as a guest but without admin privileges.

Since the crash when I log on I cannot get edge to start properly. I only get a partial grey box in the lower left of the screen and programs that were moved there such as Photoshop and Outlook 2013 are not anywhere to be seen.

When I change to my wife's log in I can get full access to Edge and Photoshop/Outlook 2013 etc.

I feared my Photoshop etc. was gone and I would have to re install but it is somewhere. I guess it s somewhere but something has become corrupted.

Anyone have an idea what is going on.

Thanks in advance.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds a bit like your profile is corrupt.
You might try restarting the computer a couple time and see if it sorts itself out.
IF NOT, then you will like need to recover that corrupt user profile into another new profile, by creating a new user as a member of the local administrators group (not a standard user).
Test the new user account and see if Edge and other things seem to work in that account.
IF SO, then you can copy and paste the contents of the older user profile folders into their respect folder within the new user profile (do not move..... copy only) Dekstop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, etc., etc.
C:\Users\OldUserName to C:\Users\NewUserName

You need, yet a third admin user to accomplish this as you cannot be logged in as the user you are copying from or to.
After you create the profile, you can copy the files from the existing profile. You must have at least three user accounts on the computer to complete these steps, including the new account you just created.
Log on as a user other than the new user you just created or the user that you want to copy files from.
SOURCE: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile?woldogcb=0
The process remains pretty much the same since the XP days.
Stay away from any files or folders that begin with NT.

Ask a Question