SOLVED Oddities when booting PC

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure where this topic belongs. Basically I have my PC plugged straight into the wall, and my monitors and such are plugged into a power strip. When my PC's off, it won't boot or show any signs of life while the power strip is on. I have to turn the power strip off, then press my PC's power button, then turn the power strip on.

My only thoughts were that maybe my power supply wasn't good enough, and my devices all had to be off for it to have enough power to boot. But considering i've heard from plenty of sources that my power supply is well above what I need, i don't believe that's the case.

Specs Below:

Asus Motherboard Z170 Pro
16GB DDR4 Corsair Ram
Intel I5-6600 3.3Ghz
Nvidia GTX 960
Corsair CX 750 Watt 80+ Power Supply
1 SSD and two HDD's

Please if anyone has heard of something like this before I would love your input.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
When my PC's off, it won't boot or show any signs of life while the power strip is on.
Very confusing...not sure what you mean. If the PC is off it's off. So you're saying once you turn your PC off it wont turn back on unless you turn on/off the power strip?

Only a guess here; how many slots are on your power strip? How many devices are plugged in to the power strip? You maybe overloading the wall outlet. You need to figure out how many amps is on the wall outlet, then determine if that outlet is daisy chained (having more the 1 out tied to that circuit breaker). Ideally, it should be 1 breaker per outlet but it's not always so. If you have multiple outlets on one circuit breaker and those outlets have a lot of devices plugged in....this could be causing your issue. Again this is just a guess.

multiple outlet in parallel wiring diagram.jpg

Reaction score
Wow! That's a Strange one. And I spent 46 years in electrical engineering.
All I can suggest is to plug you PC into the same power strip as your periphial hardware.
Q: Is the power strip currently plugged into a different receptacle than the PC?

Reaction score
Very confusing...not sure what you mean. If the PC is off it's off. So you're saying once you turn your PC off it wont turn back on unless you turn on/off the power strip?

Only a guess here; how many slots are on your power strip? How many devices are plugged in to the power strip? You maybe overloading the wall outlet. You need to figure out how many amps is on the wall outlet, then determine if that outlet is daisy chained (having more the 1 out tied to that circuit breaker). Ideally, it should be 1 breaker per outlet but it's not always so. If you have multiple outlets on one circuit breaker and those outlets have a lot of devices plugged in....this could be causing your issue. Again this is just a guess.

View attachment 7610
Wow! That's a Strange one. And I spent 46 years in electrical engineering.
All I can suggest is to plug you PC into the same power strip as your periphial hardware.
Q: Is the power strip currently plugged into a different receptacle than the PC?

Okay so basically I've been an idiot. I was in the mindset that my PC was at fault, but thank you bassfisher6522, you made me realize that my outlet is weird. I have one of those outlet splitters that plug directly onto the wall, which both the PC and power strip are plugged into. I believe that they were both pulling power from the same wall outlet, which couldn't output enough.

Now that my power strip and PC are pulling electricity from seperate wall outlets, it works perfectly fine.

Reaction score
The site's not letting me edit my last post.

By "they were both pulling power from the same wall outlet", I mean the same plug, on the same wall outlet. And now that they're pulling from seperate plugs, it works.

Ask a Question