Old MS Games to work again in Creator

Reaction score
OK, I suppose by now most people that had updated from Redstone to Creator have found that the MS games aren't working again (as usual) OK, so here are a couple things you can do. I have them working on both my desktop and laptop. This is more a temp "fix" I came up with until I get hold of a full re-coded installer. But now that they work it doesn't much matter to me :).

1. first make sure you go search for the file CardGames.dll , download it and place it in your Windows/system32 folder
(if you see Windows.Old folder under Windows, you can get it from that system32 folder too, it should be there)

2. reinstall the old games exe.

This should work, it did on my desktop. Only thing is the main game pack icon stays blank, so you need to go to each card folder and right click on the exe for the game to "pin to start", there you can resize it or re arrange.

=============================================================================

the other way I had to get them to work on my laptop (for some reason the 1st way didn't work) i s

1. again make sure you have the CardGames.dll in System32

2. COPY the full Microsoft Games folder and re locate it to another folder, in my case I had a Games folder in my documents already, I pasted the Microsoft Games folder there, than again went to each game folder right clicking the exe and pinning each game I use to start.

Click the icon and it/they should work. (btw this method should keep them working even with another update)
==================================================================

I made a new thread cause there are too many topics for the same question and figured this will be accessible to all that asked the same thing.

Anyway hope it works for you people............

Reaction score
I had to uninstall and reinstall the Windows 7 games on two machines. The third machine I've updated, I've not checked it. I assume it is the same way, and I will need to reinstall on that machine as well.

Reaction score
My wife is an enthusiastic user of the old games, rather the the MS solitaire collection, which I use.
I find it necessary to stay ahead with keeping things working on her Laptop. LOL
I have had no problems installing this one on the Creators update: As a precaution, I used the compatibility mode for Win 8, and ran it as an Administrator:

http://winaero.com/blog/windows-7-games-for-windows-10-anniversary-update-and-above/

Reaction score
I keep a copy of the old games from Winaero in onedrive so one every new build I just copy it and run it. Started doing this as the Insider builds killed off the old games every new build.

I did not need to elevate privilege to do this.

Reaction score
Fine, Tim. I just threw that remark in as a possible precaution - Always helps when dealing with a new OS.
Bottom li9ne - No need for anything complicated as suggested.

Reaction score
OK, I suppose by now most people that had updated from Redstone to Creator have found that the MS games aren't working again (as usual) OK, so here are a couple things you can do. I have them working on both my desktop and laptop. This is more a temp "fix" I came up with until I get hold of a full re-coded installer. But now that they work it doesn't much matter to me :).

1. first make sure you go search for the file CardGames.dll , download it and place it in your Windows/system32 folder
(if you see Windows.Old folder under Windows, you can get it from that system32 folder too, it should be there)

2. reinstall the old games exe.

This should work, it did on my desktop. Only thing is the main game pack icon stays blank, so you need to go to each card folder and right click on the exe for the game to "pin to start", there you can resize it or re arrange.

=============================================================================

the other way I had to get them to work on my laptop (for some reason the 1st way didn't work) i s

1. again make sure you have the CardGames.dll in System32

2. COPY the full Microsoft Games folder and re locate it to another folder, in my case I had a Games folder in my documents already, I pasted the Microsoft Games folder there, than again went to each game folder right clicking the exe and pinning each game I use to start.

Click the icon and it/they should work. (btw this method should keep them working even with another update)
==================================================================

I made a new thread cause there are too many topics for the same question and figured this will be accessible to all that asked the same thing.

Anyway hope it works for you people............
I really liked the Vista/Windows 7 Games .... would love to install on my Windows 10. I sure hope this works. If I can find the right Games folder and where the old one is. But didn't know this was even and option. Thanks!

Reaction score
MS Games folder location.jpg
MS Games icons on win creator.jpg
where to place Gasmes folder.jpg
I really liked the Vista/Windows 7 Games .... would love to install on my Windows 10. I sure hope this works. If I can find the right Games folder and where the old one is. But didn't know this was even and option. Thanks!

thanks for at least considering it an "option" I assume those that have it working think its a wasted post.

I guess I should have posted some screen shots, it may sound complicated but its nothing more than copy and paste. So I'll post some just to point out what I'm sayin.

As I stated, "some" are able to just re install the old installer, however, even that made the "one" game icon useless, the separate game icons wouldn't populate that now, so you still needed to find the games folder and pin each game to start. The other way I mentioned by just doing a "full" copy of the MS Games folder ( in your programs folder) to another place, ie your "user" folder, or in your "documents folder". This was required for my laptop with the "creator" update, as it for some reason didn't like the installer, and after some experimenting, I found this method worked.

So for those that are able to just run the installer "great", I'm just trying to show some another way.

Ask a Question