SOLVED Old Software

Reaction score
Hi, I have some genealogy discs that I need to use but they are from when I had XP, is there any way to make them work with Windows 10
Lindsay

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
You may be able to run them in compatibility mode but it could be hit and miss. There is an option to be able to run these in a virtual machine using XP. However, I have no experience with VM's so I cannot help you in that regard.
They may be members here that are more knowledgeable about VM's .

Reaction score
I came across this application a few days ago. It is freeware that will import from a variety of formats.

If you know someone with an XP machine you might can export to a format that Gramps supports. I know Family Tree Maker can export as GedCom and CSV. Both of those formats can be imported using Gramps.

Reaction score
You may be able to run them in compatibility mode but it could be hit and miss. There is an option to be able to run these in a virtual machine using XP. However, I have no experience with VM's so I cannot help you in that regard.
They may be members here that are more knowledgeable about VM's .
Thank You
I came across this application a few days ago. It is freeware that will import from a variety of formats.

If you know someone with an XP machine you might can export to a format that Gramps supports. I know Family Tree Maker can export as GedCom and CSV. Both of those formats can be imported using Gramps.
Thanks, I have my old laptop that has XP so will try your suggestion

Reaction score
It maybe that you just need to run the setup.exe on those disks in W7 compatibility mode. Does the application contain its own database?

Reaction score
Didn't work, am thinking is it possible to load xp onto a separate drive and use that, am a bit worried as I am sure he old laptop hasn't much longer to live

Reaction score
Didn't work, am thinking is it possible to load xp onto a separate drive and use that, am a bit worried as I am sure he old laptop hasn't much longer to live
What errors are you getting, if any, when inserting the discs [proper term for CD and DVD] into the drive? Do they contain the program's installation files? What is the name of the genealogy program [not that many around]? I have older Family Tree Maker, newer Legacy and did put that Gramps on my Linux Mint Desktop, may put it on a Linux Mint Notebook to show a client who uses FTM for Mac.

Reaction score
when I insert discs( CD ) it will open when I click on the set up exe it says " this app will not run on your computer to find a version for your PC check with the Software publisher" the discs are the National Burial Index and came from The Federation of Family History Societies ,I emailed them but have not got a reply ,I have the latest Family Tree Maker

Reaction score
Afraid it will be up to the programmers of the program to update it for newer versions of an OS/Operating System. I have a couple of rather expensive programs that won't run on Win10, either x86/32-bit or x64/64-bit so I keep a Win7 computer [given to me, no cost] for the few times needed.

I just looked at https://www.familyhistoryfederation.com/ and seems they are working on updates.

Reaction score
Thank You, that's why I kept my old laptop but the disc drive no longer works nor does the keypad so I have to plug extras in and the graphics are awful

Reaction score
If needed an External USB ODD/Optical Disc Drive can be had probably for $50USB or less, I keep a couple on hand against the time I may need one. The Apple brand usually is a bit more.
Some choices:

Reaction score
Hi, I have some genealogy discs that I need to use but they are from when I had XP, is there any way to make them work with Windows 10
Lindsay
I had the same problem. Family Tree maker won't run under Win10.
You'll need to setup a Virtual Machine with XP. That's what worked for me.

Reaction score
I too had similar problems. Fortunately I have Tera Byte Unlimited's boot manager on my system I have simply kept my old copy of XP and boot to it when I have to use these applications. I would suggest you also give a try to VMware-Player as your virtual machine. Works like a charm.

Reaction score
A few years ago I purchased a new laptop with Win 10 Pro OS. My previous model was using Win XP. On the XP unit I had installed the program "The Master Genealogist" (TMG) and had used it for years to record my family history, all on CD and DVD. Then I was successful, I thought, in installing the program on my new laptop and began transferring my data files to that unit. All of the features seemed to function properly so I continued entering more data. Then one day I decided to print one of the many data reports available on TMG. Woops! No way. I tried to correct the errors several times to no avail. My older laptop still functions very well, so I continue to use it and TMG. Oh well.

Reaction score
Family Tree Maker 2006 is working fine on my Win10 64-bit. As I get time to go through my stask of program discs I'll install FTM 2011. Probably will try one I just heard of called Gramps which is also available for Linux Debian, maybe RPM.

Reaction score

I use a program called DOSBOX which enables me to read the old genealogy disks that I think you might be referring to. They are DOS based disks.

Ask a Question