Older BIOS - Potential Problem(s)

Reaction score
What difficulties, if any, will one have installing Windows-10 on a machine now running Windows-7 64-bit with an older BIOS? In particular, the BIOS setup area has no references to UEFI. So, references to "disabling Secure Boot" don't make sense. (I have a DELL Vostro 1500, bought in March 2008, which is still very functional.) Thank you.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
This is about all you would have to worry about
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-is-pae-nx-sse2
If you meet the other system requirements and you system supports pae, nx and sse2.... you should be good to go.
Thank you for the reply. I guess I should have included the processor--Intel T5270. It has "XD" support. As for PAE and SSE2, I can't find them in the BIOS menu tree; nor can i find them in the usual Intel specification sheets.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It has "XD" support
I think that is synonymous with NX (No Execute bit) so you're probably good to go.
There are any number of third party software tools that will tell you in further detail but I think you're alright.
CoreInfo is one such tool.

Reaction score
I think that is synonymous with NX (No Execute bit) so you're probably good to go.
There are any number of third party software tools that will tell you in further detail but I think you're alright.
CoreInfo is one such tool.

CoreInfor looks good. But...where are the results that quickly scroll by in a DOS box stored and what is the name of the file that was created? I'd like to print out the results.

Reaction score
YoHe, the only review I can find says that this is a solid, well-built Vista laptop. What OS are you currently using, and how well does it run? If you insist on upgrading to 10, back up anything vital, because it might not survive. You'll have 30 days to revert if it doesn't work out.

Ask a Question