SOLVED One Drive Desktop

Reaction score
Trying to hide/close/uninstall OneDrive (OD) and now can only see/display the OD desktop and can't display my personal desktop. The personal desktop items are in "my" folder C: user/name/desktop, but can't get them on the computer. The computer seems to be locked in to displaying the OD desktop. Tried changing the 'view' for the folder, and tried right clicking the desktop and changing the 'view' setting, but it remains locked on to OD desktop. Hoping not having to do a system restore or go to an old backup from yesterday.
Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
One Drive is generally associated with a Microsoft Account or another account / email that you have associated / linked. with a Microsoft Account.
Not sure what steps you might have taken to "hide/close/uninstall OneDrive (OD)"
OR
Whether your "files" in C:\Users\UserName are a product of a local account or yet another Microsoft or Associated (linked) account.

Typically you use the Account applet in settings to Log on with a Microsoft or Log on with a local account

At this point, without knowing what might have been done, a system restore or a backup might be your best choice.
Especially if your goal was to get away from the One Drive linked account, move to a local account instead and now you seem to be stuck on an account that is associated with One Drive.

Reaction score
Trouble, sorry to be so later replying and closing this thread, holidays and hospitals take time faster than I can Keep up. What I did was a "Restart", fresh W10, with all data files retained. Came up nice and clean, although it seemed to take forever. Still have the Desktop screen tagged to OneDrive folder but I managed to get some other ones changed to my folders. Guess I will live with that.
Not sure I understand how MS handles accounts. There are only two accounts on the computer, mine and Administrator. And there is only one MS account that I sign in with. Maybe OneDay I will find out my folder to be the only one that is used. At least I found how to unsynch OD's free cloud storage with this computer and then how to hide/uninstall OD. So now I don't keep getting the notifications from OD that my drive space has maxed out and "come buy more storage".

Ask a Question