OneDrive - Is it lost when re-installing WIn-10

Reaction score
My friend wants to re-install Windows 10. He ask me if he would retain the data on OneDrive, or would it be lost.
I don't know. :(

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
OnDrive is cloud storage, so it's remotely hosted space that won't be lost when you format your PC. You'll just need to use the same credentials to log-in again and access your files. Generally speaking, that means use the same Microsoft account to log in to Windows 10 after the re-install.

Reaction score
If the question is regarding the actual data saved to OneDrive, it will not be affected.

If, however, the question is regarding the OneDrive folder in %USERPROFILE%, that will be lost when clean installing.
  • I personally recommend to always move the %USERPROFILE% sub-directories to their own User partition via the directory's Properties -> Location.
    • This is far more efficacious, allowing for greater flexibility for backup and recovery.
      • For example:
        1. Allows for WIMs to be taken of the separate partition, without booting into WinRE.
        2. Since Windows is installed on a separate partition, the main user folders are never affected by re-installs or restoring from ESDs.

• However, this does affect the user if they choose to create a custom recovery image with:
      • ReAgentC /SetOSImage /Path "<Recovery Drive Letter>:\Recovery\WindowsRE" /Index 1
        • I don't recommend ever creating this type of recovery WIM/ESD, as it's faster to boot into WinRE and apply a previous image captured with: DISM /Capture-Image

Last edited:

Ask a Question