Online Support

Reaction score
Whatever you do, do not let Microsoft assume remote control of your computer to solve a problem. I did so this morning, to correct a minor problem with Windows Update (Windows 10). As I watched the technician mouse, scroll, and click, it became very apparent to me that he was less familiar with Windows 10 than I am. Then he went into System Configuration/services, and unchecked all but a few of the boxes, which severed his connection to my computer. I sat there for a half hour, waiting for him to call or email me on my other computer. I finally gave up and rebooted only to find that most of the services, including my internet connection, were down. I decided to give up, take a shower, and haul the computer into the Windows Store at the mall. Just as I got my body all lathered up, he did call. He talked me through pulling up the Services menu, and I enabled all services, including those I probably didn't need or want. Everything is operating now, and I told him to forget the original problem he was working on. It just wasn't worth the trouble. While we were talking, I could hear kids yelling in the background, so I assume this guy is working out of his home, possibly as a contractor.

I have also found the people at the Windows Store, to be unfamiliar with details of Windows 10. They all need extensive training. My conclusion is that if you have problems with Windows 10, you're pretty much on your own.

Reaction score
My conclusion is that if you have problems with Windows 10, you're pretty much on your own.

I beg to differ.
There are many reputable Windows 10 forums where you can get quality help. This one for example.
I do agree that the so-called Help Desk is a total waste of time, at best, and detrimental to the computer, at worst.

Reaction score
Richard can I ask you if you had to pay for the Remote Help ( I realise that I use this term Help sparingly for your situation) or was it offered for free?

Reaction score
There was no charge or discussion of charges, but I did cut him off from further "help" after I got my system running again.

Reaction score
Well, Windows installed two updates this morning, but they did not fix the screen saver problem or the loss of 'location' settings, which keeps Cortana from functioning.

Ask a Question