Only tiles on Screen

Reaction score
Last night while exploring windows 10 I clicked on something on the lower right corner of the screen (tablet, maybe?) and my screen switched to 2 large multi squared boxes (Tiles?). I have clicked on everything imaginable but can not get back to the original screen. My taskbar is also missing in action. None of the things I pinned there show up. The windows logo does nothing when clicked nor does the task view button. Please help!

Reaction score
Do a system restore.
Pick a date BEFORE "last night " as your restore point.

Control Panel > View by : small icons > select Recovery > Open system restore >wait for it to load > click Choose a different restore point > bottom left > click Show more restore points > select a date as your restore point > click Next > just follow the prompts to start system restore.

It will take quite a while.
When finishes, it will restart.
Hope you get your "normal" screen back after that.

Reaction score
Tried to follow your instructons but the only date that appears is 8/9/15 which is when up upgraded to Windows 10. There is no place to chose a different restore point, no show me more. If I chose 8/9/15 will that take me our of Windows 10 back to Windows 7. I don't want to do that. Thanks.

Reaction score
When dust is settled, make it a habit to create a restore point regularly when the system is running fine.
That way, you will always have a date to "roll back " on if you run into issue you cannot resolve.
Also learn to create system image backup on regular basis. I do that once every 3 weeks or when I have installed a lot of updates or programs.

Reaction score
No. It will bring you back the very first time Windows 10 was installed. Not back to Windows 7.
I did a restore and when the system restarted it is looking for my password. Previous to the restore I had change to no password with a local account. However, I tried my Ms password several and it will not accept it. I am locked out. What now?

Reaction score
I had change to no password with a local account

Wish I knew that beforehand.
I am not sure how to help you.
An outside chance............
Try to place your cursor inside the password box, left click. Then hit Enter key.

I am really sorry I've gotten you into this predicament.
Hopefully someone will come along to help you.
If not, reinstall Win 7 will be in order.

Reaction score
Wish I knew that beforehand.
I am not sure how to help you.
An outside chance............
Try to place your cursor inside the password box, left click. Then hit Enter key.

I am really sorry I've gotten you into this predicament.
Hopefully someone will come along to help you.
If not, reinstall Win 7 will be in order.

Reaction score
That was not very helpful. Left clicking does nothing. If I can't get in how can I reinstall anything? Microsoft must have a way around this. Is there another forum that might have more help for me?

Reaction score
There are a lot of established computer experts in this forum. Just wait a bit. Please.

P.S. I assume then you do not have a Windows 7 Installation DVD for reinstall ?

Back to the sign in screen where you have no password to enter.......
Do you see something like this screenshot ? The icon on the extreme right is the one we need, the Power icon.

Shift + Restart #1.jpg

Reaction score
My Windows 7 was a download upgrading from Windows XP. I don't seem to have the original XP any longer.

Yes, I see three icons on the bottom right. However, the first one is different. It is the symbol for internet which has a yellow warning on it I assume because I am not connected to the internet right now. This issue seemed like a very small one to begin with but now is it much larger. Is there anyway to flag it for an expert so they don't overlook me?
I would appreciate it if you could somehow direct it to them. Thank you for our help.

Reaction score
Are you saying that you do NOT have the Power icon but instead you have the Internet Icon in its place ?

Reaction score
I'm saying I have a power icon on the extreme bottom right. It is the extreme right icon in a row of three icons labeled as follows " connect to internet" "ease of access" "shutdown" .
I hope that is very clear.

Ask a Question