SOLVED open source office suites.

Reaction score
hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has tried or knows if any other non Microsoft office suites will run on windows 10 such as libreoffice.
I know that it installs and runs well on windows 7.
I don't use office enough to want to buy it.
any input would be appreciated.

thanks.

the poorguy

Reaction score
hey davidhk129,

didn't even think to go there and check, appreciate you looking that up.

thanks.
the poorguy

Reaction score
I, for test and forum chat purposes, am running Libre Office: Open Office and Kingsoft. They all have their idiosyncrasies but, as an alternative to MS Office 2013, Kingsoft wins for me. I must admit that I usually, eventually, return to MS Office. Both are 100% compatible with Windows 10.

https://www.libreoffice.org/

http://www.kingsoftstore.com/kingsoft-office-freeware.html

https://www.openoffice.org/

One advantage, as seen by me, is that with either of the alternatives, you do not get blasted with a constant stream of security updates.

Last edited:
Reaction score
hey davehc,

i will look into kingsoft. i know alot of people that have used the alternatives and as you they always wind up with MS office as i am told that it offers them more ways of doing things they need that the other choices don't. me i just need office to read other peoples documents that were created with office.

thanks for the links.

the poorguy

Reaction score
me i just need office to read other peoples documents that were created with office.

If THAT is all you need, then install Microsoft Word Viewer. Use the link below......
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4

AND, in case some ones send you a document that is in .docx file format, use the link below to install the Compatibility Pack.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3

Don't worry about what it says on system requirements.
I happen to have a Windows 10 Pro without any MS Office programs.
I used that 2 links and installed the Word Viewer and the Compatibility Pack.
I then used another laptop and sent a .doc and a .docx attachments.
Upon receipt, both opened as expected.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just curious. What do you actually use to write letters etc`?

Reaction score
As a linux user, I've always been partial to open office and libre office (a spinoff of open office). Libre office is the only free office suite I've used on Windows 10. It works as well as it does on 7 and 8.

Reaction score
hey davehc,

when running windows xp or windows vista i had office 2010 and used it for whatever i needed and on windows 7 and linux i used libreoffice and it did all i ever needed to do. just was wanting to check into different software sources and see what will work the best for windows 10 and me. new change can be a good thing for some of us old guys.
since windows 10 is new i want to make sure what i install will run without any problems. this go round with windows 10 is going very well and i am liking it more and more as i use it and learn it. it is a ok.

thanks.

the poorguy

Reaction score
yep they all want money.
i use the drawing feature alot in libreoffice.
i still have a desktop with windows xp and it has visio 2000 professional on and i use it all the time for designing and schematic drawings. sure don't want to have to replace it.

yeah libreoffice has worked well for me as i only need it to read the documents.
the typewriter key sounds would be cool that was mentioned in the suite from atlantis.
there is alot of choices to choose from and i guess i will have to check them out, at least the free ones.

thanks.
the poorguy

Reaction score
I had LibreOffice with Windows 8.1. When I upgraded to 10, it came through like a champ. I have since installed the latest version 4.4.5.2 with no problems whatsoever.

Reaction score
i just check whitch version i have on linux lite 2.2 and it shows version 5.0.1.2 does all i need to do. not as colorful as microsoft office but i like what it cost which was a $10.00 donation.

the poorguy

Reaction score
hey davehc,

yeah I am going to have to do some research as there are quite a lot of choices to choose from.
how many different versions of these are you running davehc, and does having multiple office suites on one computer cause any conflicts between them.

thanks
the poorguy

Reaction score
Well. Disregard my path lol. I am, by hobby and interest and, I could say, unpaid work, , a testing nerd. I install and uninstall different software, including OSs, countless times a month. keeps me young(er)

I have tried all the respected brands of Word processors. Word. Abi. Open Office. :Libre Office, even Wordperfect

I have not experienced any conflicts, but, I have never had more than a couple on at any time.
My main interest, for all software, is promoting, what I regard, as efficient, but free programs. There is almost, somewhere around, a free version of most things the average user needs on a computer.

Reaction score
In win 7 I liked word starter 2010. Now I use Abiword. Very limited use of word processing no need for office capability.

Reaction score
Truth is, JM, I find wordpad, saving in rich format, supplies all my writing needs!

Reaction score
hey guys,

yep I myself am a freeware junkie / addict and if freeware wasn't available I wouldn't have any software because i am one of those people who are too cheap to buy anything.

yeah i don't need a lot of office software just something to view documents and from the input on this forum there is more than i had realized was available.

one feature i really need is for my spelling which i am really bad at and it shows sometimes so spell check is killer for me.

i do lots of pc restoration and i am always recovering OS or installing OS all of the time.
i use Linux on older desktop boxes because it works well on them and doesn't require the resources that windows does.

i used to test system monitor software just to find who had the best. can definitely relate to the unpaid work, i don't consider it a loss as i get to see what works the best for me.

starting to drift off topic.
thanks.
the poorguy

Ask a Question