?: Opening Edge in multiple desk tops

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks, as always, for the great interaction in this group!

I have a question regarding Edge in Windows 10 with respect to "multiple desk tops".

Ive noticed that after opening a web site with Edge in the first desktop and then adding a second desktop (+,) that when I try to open a different website in desktop #2 WITH EDGE, it reverts back to the first desktop and wont allow you to open it in the second desk top as long as you are using Edge in desktop #2 after using Edge in desktop #1.

I'm not sure why this is the case, but I would imagine that quite a few people would like to be able to open websites on different desk tops using Edge in both. I don't think this can be done by simply creating a second desktop and trying to open a website with Edge after using Edge in desk top #1.

You can move a website using Edge in Desktop #1 to Desktop #2 (using Edge as well) by dragging and dropping from desktop #1 to desktop #2. This is fine, but I think it would be a lot better to be able to open a website directly in desk top #2 using Edge rather than having to drag and drop from desktop #1.

Please let me know if this makes sense (sometimes I don't explain myself very well, sorry) and any insight you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Best to you all always,

Rick

Reaction score
I don't use Edge. I tried Firefox and IE, they open fine on different Desktop sessions at the same time. I then decided to open Edge and you are right. As soon as Edge is run on the second Desktop instance it switches to the first instance with Edge running.

Anyway I don't know how to change this behavior. I did however want to weigh in and say you are not alone. It does the same on my machine.

Reaction score
I am not able to try it , just at the moment. (Sitting in Windows 8.1) but,, maybe you could try this as a viable solution. Try opening a fresh instance of Edge, with the middle mouse key, and then your different/new webpage with that?

Reaction score
@davehc, I'm not sure you understand.

When you open a new Desktop session there is nothing open. And when running Edge, Windows then takes focus back to the first Desktop session where Edge was already running. Kinda defeats the purpose of opening a new Desktop session, cause Edge doesn't play well with multiple desktop sessions.

Ask a Question