Optical Drive Not Recognized

Reaction score
Just purchased Dell 8900 with Win 10 installed. Replaced optical disk drive with Asus BW 12B1ST and installed second ODD, a Pioneer BDR 206. The computer recognizes the Asus but not the Pioneer. Checked bios which recognized both. Reverse the SATA data cords: Asus to SATA 2 from SATA 1 and the Pioneer SATA 2 to SATA 1. Computer recognized the Asus but doesn't recognize the Pioneer which doesn't even show up under device manager. Bios recognizes both drives in the reversed position. Switched them back again S2 to S1; S2 to S1 with same result. Also ran both Dell diagnostics and MS diagnostics with no success. The Dell forum tells me that the problem is software since the bios recognizes both drives. Suggested I try the MS Win 10 Forum. Can you help, please.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the Start Button and choose Command Prompt (admin) from the context menu and in the command prompt window type
reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
hit enter
type
exit
reboot your computer and see if that helps.

Reaction score
I followed your suggestion and receive an "operation successful" message, but device manager still did not read the drive on the re-boot. Thanks for the advice. I'm still puzzled.

Reaction score
Un-f-in-believable. In device manager selected Show Hidden Devices. DVD was shown and I uninstalled it. Rebooted machine and the DVD was detected and now runs perfectly. Days and hours of needless frustrated effort. Why does Microsoft make this so hard? Thank you and thanks to the forum. I would have never figured this out on my own. Much appreciated.

Reaction score
Only way I’ve come up with is to boot with install DVD in the drive, ignore “boot from CD/DVD”, let windows boot up and then remove the DVD and you’re away.
Be damn cautious with “fix no CD/DVD” software.
Last one I tried was a virus. But then again, Win 10 isn’t so far from a virus itself.

Ask a Question