Original files have vanished.

Reaction score
So, I recently upgraded my Lenovo ideapad from windows 8 to 10. I waited for everything to reboot then automatically went to find my picture and document files. Everything was gone. So I did some research and found the windows.old file folder, and found everything. I moved it all to my current pictures and document folders. Problem solved right? No. My laptop again restarted, gave me the whole "new features to be excited about" speech. I went back in to make sure everything was ok, and everything..i mean EVERYTHING was gone. I checked all the old folders and that was all gone as well. Nothing. My hard drive is still as full as ever. I did a system restore to before it restarted and still nothing. Some of my files were viewable in my 'Recent files' but when I click on it, it says "this file has been moved or deleted." Considering I am a college student and an artist this is all VERY frustrating. I thought that maybe it was an issue with permissions so I created another admin account but still nothing was available. When I type in a file search on my whole PC it comes up blank. I'm so lost. The files are still in there somewhere since the space is still taken up I just have no idea how to get to them. PLEASE HELP :c

Reaction score
I also have the exact same problem. Does Microsoft have a solution? I had all of my pictures backed up online, but I did not notice for weeks that they disappeared from the folder, and my automatic online backup updated the backup folder and made it empty like the one that is on my computer, so I am stuck. Help!

Ask a Question