SOLVED OS C (capability 185Gb) full of programs and DATA D (capability 279Gb) empty

Reaction score
My notebook Asus X540SA – 500Gb had got 2 units. In OS C (185Gb) all programs are going to be installed, and in DATA D (279Gb) I see there is nothing. Why a memory of 279Gb in DATA D if it remains empty? Is it possible to make bigger C and smaller D? Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Yes you can do that. It requires re-partioning the disk which can be done without disturbing anything but it is a bit of an unsafe procedure.
It might be easier to just move the system folders and leave the programs and OS alone.
The system folders that usually contain all your data such as Documents, Downloads, Picture, Music can all be moved . In file explorer you can right click each one of them, click properties and you will see a tab called location and a box showing where they are now. You can then move them to your D drive. ( which is part of the same disk. I have my Downloads folder moved to D: on my PC as my C is an SSD and only 256 GB.

Reaction score
Yes you can do that. It requires re-partioning the disk which can be done without disturbing anything but it is a bit of an unsafe procedure.
It might be easier to just move the system folders and leave the programs and OS alone.
The system folders that usually contain all your data such as Documents, Downloads, Picture, Music can all be moved . In file explorer you can right click each one of them, click properties and you will see a tab called location and a box showing where they are now. You can then move them to your D drive. ( which is part of the same disk. I have my Downloads folder moved to D: on my PC as my C is an SSD and only 256 GB.
And D why exists? I'm sorry but I'm not en expert in this subject.

Reaction score
Because the Good Folks at ASUS decided that was the way to set it up. Or if someone else set it up they did that. Certainly quite a normal thing to do. My Lenovo laptop came with just its 500Gb C drive as one drive.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Probably a good idea to include an image of your Disk Management console so we can see exactly what you have in the way of physical drives and partitions.
Probably even a better idea.... before going forward with any suggestions to backup all your critical data as well as creating a disk image of your physical drive in case things don't go as planned.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Capture.PNG

T_J

Reaction score
I wouldn't change anything if the laptop is under warranty; and store data on data partition.

Reaction score
It is still a good idea to see the Disk Management picture just in case. I could not recommend or agree with other recommendations in the blind when dealing with someone's system.

T_J

Reaction score
My 2000 Dell has 7 partitions which includes 98se, 2k, and XP. I still use this PC for Jane's F/A-18 simulator (98se). From my (non-professional) experience, sometimes bad things happen when modifying computers. This PC would have been at the recycle graveyard years ago if not for Drive Image 5.
My 2012 Dell has not been modified except for W7 to W10 upgrade, maybe I learned my lesson.
partition%20magic_zpsueplp1k1.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's all about personal preference if he likes all the data, apps and OS on C he could remove D and reallocate the space to C. Some people refer having data on one drive as it's easier to backup.

Reaction score
Jake. I think the OP is a she. If one moves data the way I suggested, a legitimate user way of doing it, then Windows (7)backup or File History ( 10) should just back them up without any further action.

Reaction score
Hi friends,
I thanks all of you for your important advices which I take note for a next future general movement of my documents in D. Very precious your help!! :)
And... yesss... i'm a "she" ;)
Chiara

Ask a Question