SOLVED Other broswers not an option for default.

Reaction score
I just updated to Win 10.

I have Google Chrome and Firefox installed on my machine. I would like to set Google Chrome as my default. It seemed simple enough when I clicked the "change default program" in settings. However, both Chrome and Firefox are not even available for me to choose.

I have tried to look this up and all I have been able to find is how to get it via settings, which is exactly what I can't do. Please help. If you know of some other way to set default programs please let me know.

Thank you.

Attachments

• help.png
    help.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 570
Reaction score
You can set Chrome or Firefox as default from within their own settings. Sometimes doing that will take you to the W10 settings screen and you can try again but when the browsers are set within themselves....it works.
Fropm an answer to another poster.

For Edge I go to settings -> system-> default apps -> Web browser and select Edge.
For IE the same selecting IE

For Firefox I open Firefox and immediately see a message saying Firefox is not the default browser. So I set it and it becomes the default.

Chrome I open Chrome, Click on the hamburger at the right, select settings and at the bottom of the page one can select Chrome as default. This also opens the settings in Windows as above and it does no harm to select Chrome there as well.

Far too complicated imho the system setting in Windows should just do this and display the default.

Reaction score
The unfortunate truth is that Edge will continue to fight to become your default browser. However, you can simply choose whatever Browser you want to use.

After years of successful use of Firefox, I have voluntarily made Edge my default browser. I like its speed.

Reaction score
You can set Chrome or Firefox as default from within their own settings. Sometimes doing that will take you to the W10 settings screen and you can try again but when the browsers are set within themselves....it works.
Fropm an answer to another poster.

For Edge I go to settings -> system-> default apps -> Web browser and select Edge.
For IE the same selecting IE

For Firefox I open Firefox and immediately see a message saying Firefox is not the default browser. So I set it and it becomes the default.

Chrome I open Chrome, Click on the hamburger at the right, select settings and at the bottom of the page one can select Chrome as default. This also opens the settings in Windows as above and it does no harm to select Chrome there as well.

Far too complicated imho the system setting in Windows should just do this and display the default.

Thank you. I couldn't find the answer. I was sure it was out there, but I just kept getting the same thing over and over. I appreciate your help. :)

Reaction score
Vince, I don't find that Edge keeps wanting to be the default. I use it sometimes, especially to view Microsoft sites but I have Chrome as my default.

Reaction score
I believe when ytou run Firefox or Chrome and you don't check the box. Do you want FF/Chome as your defaullt browser? Along with the prompt about keep asking. Well if nothing else works you can reinstall and the browser will ask if you want it to be the default.

Ask a Question