Other Issues after Updates

Reaction score
This is an additional post to the one posted at 1:08 today regarding the two missing updates. I have found several more things missing after yesterdays updates.

1. Many small programs installed on my laptop have had all their icons removed from startup. These include my Canasta game, Dell Computer, Word, Excel, Instagram, Twitter, News and Sports. However, more importantly, the icon for Microsoft OneNote 2013 is also missing as is all the data that was in there. There is also another MS OneNote icon with just the word "Office" over it and all my "missing" data is in there, thankfully. I had downloaded the second version of OneNote last year because I thought they were ending the 2013 version, but I did not like the new version and I still prefer to use OneNote 2013. Do you know how I can get rid of one and get back to my original?

2. The powers that be seem to want everyone to use Edge. When I tried to open my Google Chrome browser a message came up saying Edge was faster and better. I can't fully seem to get Chrome back and up and I can't access my favorites.

I don't know what else may be wrong because I don't have full control of the situation. These things must all be related to the missing update files and I don't know how to proceed without making things worse. Thanks for listening!

Reaction score
Perhaps uninstalling the latest windows updates and letting them reinstall would be worth a try.

Delete Updates.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for looking again. That is what I think also but then again would going back to a restore point do the same thing. By the way, the latest thing I found was that when I restarted my computer I was no longer the administrator of my own device it came up under the name of a g entleman who had previously serviced my computer. Would getting myself back as administrator correct these issues like my ownership of my favorites file and Twitter, Instagram and Facebook?

Reaction score
would going back to a restore point do the same thing.
Yes, if it works. I've not had much luck with restore points.
the latest thing I found was that when I restarted my computer I was no longer the administrator of my own device it came up under the name of a g entleman who had previously serviced my computer. Would getting myself back as administrator correct these issues like my ownership of my favorites file and Twitter, Instagram and Facebook?
Did he create a new account in his name, or rename yours? Open C:\Users to see what accounts are listed. Are you able to log in under the other person's name (no password issues)? If he renamed yours, you should be able to rename it again. I do a lot of computer repair, and I've NEVER had the need to change the customer's account to my name, or even to add my own account. I'm a little concerned about this, not knowing why it was done. Please post back about the accounts.

Ask a Question