Outlook 16 Professional will not download headers anymore

Reaction score
Hi,
We use Spark's email service at xtra.co.nz with Outlook 16 set to download the headers then to selectively download the body of the email. This has worked fine for many years. Last night Spark changed their servers from being provided by Yahoo to FMX because of (they say) security issues and the fact that Yahoo had been hacked in the past.

Now when I try to download an email header I get the error 0x80042107. I have discussed this with the Xtra mail technical team and they say it is an problem for Microsoft to sort out. If Microsoft say there needs to be a change to their server setting they will look at it.

Up to now we have initially downloaded just the headers as a security precaution so as to be able to stop the downloading of any mail we do not recognize.

Any suggestions on how to reinstate downloading of headers would be appreciated.

Regards
Nigel

Regedit32

Reaction score
Kia ora Nigel,

If I recall accurately the option to download headers only required you were using pop3 email access, not imap.

Perhaps you could take a look at your email account settings, and check whether you are using pop3 rather than imap for you incoming emails. Let us know whether that resolves the issue or not too.

Other than that, the Windows 10 Mail app, allows you to view Headers only in its preview pane.

You can check via Spark what XTRA settings you can choose and set up for PC, Tablet or mobile here:

http://www.spark.co.nz/help/internet-email/getstarted/how-to-set-up-xtra-email-for-the-first-time/

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I don't know if this will work, as IU only have pop Email, but have a look:
Click ‘Send/Receive Settings’ then
‘Define Send/Receive Groups…’.
Select ‘Edit’.
You will then enter the Settings/ window.

This window will let you set Outlook to download complete emails with attachments rather than just headers, or the other way.

But, if this does not work, I am not familiar with "Spark*s delivery Service", but don*t they have an option for this?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Regedit32 and davehc for your responses and suggestions.

I am using the Pop3 settings for the account and yes, if Outlook is set to download the full message it works fine so we. can access our emails. I was just a little surprised that this facility vanished overnight.

Xtra technical staff with whom I discussed the issue, in the end indicated it was an Outlook problem and to take it up with Microsoft. The evidence points to some aspect of the new server's setting but apparently it is not a high priority for Xtra.

We have been using this process for many year as an added filtering process for spam and malware. It has certainly got a lot better over the years with the improved spam filters internet providers use so not having it is more of an annoyance than a game changer.

Regards
Nigel

Ask a Question