Outlook 365 Thread latching on to another application and locking it

Reaction score
Hi All

This is an odd one to explain but basically, I have an application, Astra Millennium that I have used for years with no issues. The application cannot be updated as it is no longer made. All has been well until recently, after u/g to W10 (from W7Pro). I was on Office 365 under W7 and the two apps worked fine.

Here's the problem; I can run my old 32 bit app no problems and everything works fine, all other apps, Excel, Word, IE, Edge and a selections of other just run fine with. If I open Office 2016 (Office 365 subs) then my application locks up.

If I look at the Analyse Wait Chain, I see that Outlook has 'attached' a process to my application, ie:

upload_2015-10-14_15-45-2.png

Astra is the main application and Outlook has added this extra Thread to it.
The only way to 'free up' Astra it to Select OUTLOOK.EXE and End it's process which instantly bring Astra back to life!

Now, here's the odd bit, if that weren't odd enough, if I run Outlook with Elevated Privileges, ie Run as Administrator, everything behave fine!

Note however, I can't run OL as Admin all the time as some key features (by design) are removed such as Drag and Drop and Instant Searches. If I could find a way of running OL at this level with all features enabled, I would accept that as a fix!

Thanks in Advance to anyone who can fathom this one!

Cheers

Paul

Reaction score
p.s. if anyone wants a copy of Astra to test it, just let me know. You will also need Microsoft SQL Server as it uses that for it's database, cheers.

Reaction score
OK, so no one knows so I have found a temp resolution but created another issue that someone might be able to help with. I am running Outlook in Elevated Mode and now there is no clash but Outlook then has two issues I needs to resolved; a) Drag and Drop attachments (I know I can copy and paste) and b) no Instant Search. Q. Does anyone have any patches, mods, tweaks, etc, to enable D&D and Instant Search while in Elevated mode? TIA.

Ask a Question