SOLVED Outlook "flashes" open - then immediately closes

Reaction score
I just upgraded from Windows 7. I already had Microsoft Office 2013 installed - and most functions made the move without difficulty. The Outlook icon is in the bottom tray, and when clicked, it goes through (what appears to be) the normal loading process - my mailbox "flashes" on the screen - and then closes! I cannot get it to stay open - so I can't access my email (except through my phone). I'm not very technical, so a step-by-step kind of solution would be greatly appreciated!!

Reaction score
I just upgraded from Windows 7. I already had Microsoft Office 2013 installed - and most functions made the move without difficulty. The Outlook icon is in the bottom tray, and when clicked, it goes through (what appears to be) the normal loading process - my mailbox "flashes" on the screen - and then closes! I cannot get it to stay open - so I can't access my email (except through my phone). I'm not very technical, so a step-by-step kind of solution would be greatly appreciated!!

does your Calendar app open ok ?

there may be a problem with your Mail/Calendar app

see : How To Reinstall The Mail App In Windows 10 :- http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-reinstall-the-mail-app-in-windows-10/

Reaction score
Oddly, the new calendar function (i.e., Windows 10 vs. 2013 Outlook) opens without trouble - AND I can get to Windows Mail through the Calendar function ... although its not Outlook. Again, not a technical expert, but (aside from the format) what is the difference between Windows Mail and Outlook? Is this simply the new look for Outlook???

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip!!

I've now gotten the Mail app up!!! - but not Outlook :-(. I still just get a "flash" when it loads - and then it disappears. Although its great to be able to see my mail again, I would like to continue to use Outlook for the functionality - which doesn't appear to be part of the new Mail app.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Just GOT IT!!

I went to the Start button, then: Settings / System / Apps & Features / Microsoft Office 2013 / Modify (twice) / Quick Repair ... It ran for 60-90 seconds and reported REPAIRED - but required my Microsoft login to recognize the computer/update to Windows 10 (even though its the same computer :)

I had discovered that NONE of my Office applications were working - and this fixed ALL of them. So now I have completed my transition (at least regarding my apps) from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Thanks for all the support!!

Ask a Question