Outlook mail will not open browser by default

Reaction score
I reinstalled my Office 2007 programs back on my computer after updating to Windows 10. The only problem I am having is that Outlook won't open the default browser (IE11) when a link is clicked. Instead, it pops up a box that asks me what I want to use to open and , even if I select IE as the app and check the box that says always use this app, it doesn't "remember". I've set IE as the default browser, both in Outlook and as the default browser in Control Panel. Anything else I can do to make it open link with IE instead of Edge?

Reaction score
I found a link to an article that discussed a similar issue. One of the resolutions was to verify the registry has the correct value for:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.html Verify that the Default value of this key is htmlfile
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.htm Verify that the Default value of this key is htmlfile
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \.html Verify that the Default value of this key is htmlfile

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \.htm Verify that the Default value of this key is htmlfile

I changed the default values from Opera Stable to htmlfile in all cases, uninstalled opera, maxthon, & chrome. Now when I click on a link in Outlook 2007, IE 11 displays the link as it should.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up JW.
I almost wish I had something running outlook 2010 or older so I could test it.
Hopefully other's will find this helpful.
Much appreciated.

Reaction score
I have Outlook 2007, and links open in my default, Google Chrome without issue. I'm wondering if it's an issue between IE and Edge.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think so.
It was mentioned in that other thread I linked to that people had had luck switching to Firefox and a couple others without this problem, so it would seem to be an IE versus Edge kinda deal.

Ask a Question