Outlook PST file

Reaction score
I ran Outlook 2003 for a long time on a Win 7 machine. The machine crashed and I lost almost everything, but was able to recover my original PST file. This file contains all of my registration data for all of my flight sim software, so although I am able to download the replacements, I can't verify them because I don't have the original registration keys.

I am now running Win 10 with the accompanying Outlook 2016, and I have no idea what would happen if I tried importing the PST file into it. Is there any way to open/read this PST file without corrupting Outlook 2016?

Reaction score
I've had success in Importing a .pst file into a new install of Outlook but always did it before getting much new data in it. It's a bit hit-or-miss in doing it before setting up the account/s.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is there any way to open/read this PST file
Sure just use the File -> Open menu and browse to the .pst file, rather than using the import export function.
It should then be available in the left navigation pane below your current data file.
You should be able to look it over or even drag and drop items if you find that useful.
When done, simply right click it in the left navigation pane and choose close.

Reaction score
Sure just use the File -> Open menu and browse to the .pst file, rather than using the import export function.
It should then be available in the left navigation pane below your current data file.
You should be able to look it over or even drag and drop items if you find that useful.
When done, simply right click it in the left navigation pane and choose close.
Then the fun came when my [few] older clients wanted all the messages in one place so dragging became fun for awhile. Last one I had to do was in Outlook 2011.

Ask a Question