Overreach

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK..... it's probably just me, but this
https://arstechnica.com/information...locked-from-receiving-updates-on-old-windows/

Just seems, a bridge too far.
I'm obviously getting "too old" for this $h!+

Common Microsoft.... blocking updates because my system is too new and my OS is too old???
Is this the hill you want to die on?
Not enough bullet holes in your feet already?

Just seems ridiculous.
AND yes I know..... it's not actually "news". I saw the announcement a while back and it sounded just as stupid then as it does now.

Reaction score
It's ridiculous. If someone chose to fight the issue in a court of law, I'm sure MS would get slapped where it hurts. Imagine, Ford won't sell me spark plugs for my Model T because it's too old.
Maybe that's why I can't install Creators Win 10 from an ISO image because my systems Dell Optiplex small FF with Intel processors are too old.
Are'nt we glad MS don't run medicare.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The mood the euro govt is in at the moment, regarding Windows 10, they might just ban the open sale of the product. Those who wish it will have to import it.
Trouble: Hey youngster. You have a few years left yet.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Trouble: Hey youngster. You have a few years left yet.
From your mouth (or text / post) to God's ear.

Unfortunately I've spent the last 3 decades on Microsoft / Windows and its' sundry offerings and I'm loath to consider moving over to Linux or worse :eek: OSx or iOS or whatever Apple is currently calling it.

So I'm stuck .... but that won't keeping me from moaning and groaning about it.

Bif

Reaction score
As usual thier practices continue to defy logic, but as Trouble put it very eloquently...And if I may paraphrase and resort to creative interpretation...
"We're buggered if we do, and we're buggered if we don't"
And Norton, you nailed it with the spark plug analogy!...
My neck is sore from all the head shaking :confused:

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
This is yet another ploy to force people into Windows 10 and how I become a victim of this very issue.

After a Cumulative Update in Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 that had been updating fine and working solid and stable, I received a pop up informing me that my valid retail retail copy of Windows 7 no longer will receive security updates, because My CPU is too new (Intel i7-7700K).

The claim is that (in a nutshell) the burden of maintaining patches that are compatible with my new hardware are to bothersome for Microsoft to maintain, and my only choice is to upgrade to Windows 10.

Now this would seem reasonable to the untrained EYE, except my old CPU PC supports the same CPU instructions and there's no issue there.

So I'm stuck .... but that won't keeping me from moaning and groaning about it.

If you will allow this familiarity, my friend, I feel your pain, however I am an avid Linux user for over 20 years, and were it not for many of my needed software's not working under wine in Linux, I would have ditched closed source, badly developed OS a long time ago. That said, Windows 7 is the most stable Window OS to date, with my oldest PC running 6.8 years on a single Windows 7 install, never reinstalled, ever, all issues resolved without 3rd party help cumulatively 60 hours troubleshooting in all since Window 7 was ever installed... Windows 10, Well past 60 hours in less than 3 months.

So I dedicate this post to @Trouble :D

<rant>Now, since Upgrading to Windows 10, I have had nothing but woes and spend some 10x more troubleshooting than being productive. Its like I am running Windows ME all over again. Just 4 hours ago, the whole PC shut down without warning and the culprit? Windows 10.</rant>

Last edited:

Bif

Reaction score
This is yet another ploy to force people into Windows 10 and how I become a victim of this very issue.

After a Cumulative Update in Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 that had been updating fine and working solid and stable, I received a pop up informing me that my valid retail retail copy of Windows 7 no longer will receive security updates, because My CPU is too new (Intel i7-7700K).

The claim is that (in a nutshell) the burden of maintaining patches that are compatible with my new hardware are to bothersome for Microsoft to maintain, and my only choice is to upgrade To Windows 10.

Now this would seem reasonable to the untrained EYE, except my old CPU PC supports the same CPU instructions and there's no issue there.

So I dedicate this post to @Trouble :D

[rant]Now, since Upgrading to Windows 10, I have had nothing but woes and spend some 10x more troubleshooting than being productive. Its like I am running Windows ME all over again. Just 4 hours ago, the whole PC shut down without warning and the culprit? Windows 10.[/rant]

Reaction score
I guess I have been among the luckier users. I help "no longer young" people with computer usage. The majority wanted to move on to Windows 10. Naturally, there have been minor issues, mostly queries on different navigation and "How to". Apart from that, among twenty or so computer users, all have worked (and obtained the updates successfully, since the innovation of Windows 10.
I sometimes spend more time trying to create a reported fault on forums such as this, than actually providing a remedy.
My guardian angel, so far, shines brightly.
fwiw. I have tried successive linux distributions over the past years. Inevitably, I return to MS Windows. No reflection, I suppose, on Linux - just old dogs learning new tricks.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
@Trouble those news dont surprise me one little bit, I was expecting this sort of response already ;)
Plenty people out there willing to stick it back to Microsoft for their uncouth policies, In this case Zefty (whoever he is) has my full support ;)

Hopefully no one in these boards gets offended by my observations, I am not a Microsoft hater, but some of their decisions are indeed deserving of a slap back.

Reaction score
And not new to Wi 10. They have been guilty of making things impossible for quite a while, but, fortunately, others Make them possible. very quickly thereafter.
Go with the Flow, MS!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hopefully no one in these boards gets offended by my observations
IF they do, then they might want to think about toughening up a little bit, maybe check Amazon to see if they can order up some thicker skin.
In most instances, even Microsoft "haters" are welcome here, although they may not enjoy their stay.

I'm not a Microsoft fanboy, but I certainly have a great deal of respect for a company that has made personal computing available to such a broad spectrum of users.
AND
I respect their right to get it wrong occasionally.
AND
Yours, mine and everyone else's to call them on it.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
@davehc What One man can do, another man can undo just as quickly. You can quote me on that ;)

@Trouble very true, and while I agree with you at same time, I cant forget how much innovation is stifled by some of their actions, not just MS, but other Tech giants who pummel the patent drum and the little guy..

I'll say this, I'm glad that Microsoft have finally /seemingly embraced Opensource and I hope that they will help bridge that gap without becoming another Novell. Time will tell.

Last edited: