SOLVED Oversized screens after upgrade

Reaction score
On May 1st I upgraded one of my computers to version 1803 and now all the screens are too large for my monitor. The task bar is below visual level as well as any scroll bars on the right side, any text on the left side. I don't see any place to adjust things. I hope somebody has some input that will help me fix this issue. Thanks to anyone who can offer some suggestions.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click any blank area of the Windows Desktop and choose "Display settings"
Under "Scale and layout" change the first box to 100% (Recommended)
AND
The second box to 1920 X 1080 (Recommended) OR whatever has "Recommended" next to it from the drop down choices.
See if that helps at all.

By the way the "Display settings" window is moveable by grabbing the very top "Title bar" and is sizeable using click, hold and drag corners or any edge, so you can maneuver it so you can complete the task.

Reaction score
The things you suggested were the first things I tried. Both settings were as you suggested above. As for the corners, there are none. The images go off the screen and there are no corners that can be reached. Neither the title bar, task bar or sides are visible. Also my photographs that I use for background are also overly sized.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds to me like your upgrade to 1803 is in the process of figuring out the correct GPU driver and settings.
Have you tried simply restarting the system a couple times.
IF you can't see the taskbar perhaps try using Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination and using the Power Icon there to shut down and or restart the system.

Generally what you are describing will resolve itself provided you have an internet connection and the OS can download and install the appropriate driver, although...…
Sometimes the GPU driver can get corrupted. You may have to boot into safe mode and use Device Manager to remove the GPU and reboot the system, which will then hopefully result in either the former driver being used or the correct driver getting installed properly.

Reaction score
Apparently the upgrade was not finished when I reported this problem. Today when I started up the problem computer it immediately went into update mode with a message that it needed to restart to complete the update. When it looked like it was finally finished the problem was still there. There are still no corners to move and no title bar or task bar visible. I turned it on and off around 7 times during the day but nothing changed. Could you give more explicit instructions about the GPU driver, device manager and safe mode? I'm not familiar with messing with those these.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Ideally you want to get to Advanced Troubleshooting and then use "Startup settings" to reboot the computer into Safe Mode and from there simply right click the Start Button and choose Device Manager and expand "Display adapters" and right click your display adapter and choose "Uninstall device", but.....
Because I'm not sure what you can do or what you can see on your monitor it may be difficult for me to explain how you might successfully navigate as needed.

Typically I would suggest that you simply hold the shift key down on your keyboard as you click the Start Button and select "restart" from the power icon options.
You can also do that from the power icon options if you use Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination and the Power Icon on the Sign-in page as well.
OR
You can open Settings, select the Update & Security icon and then from the left column select "Recovery" and use the Advanced startup option from that page to restart your computer.

Those are four methods to get to Advanced Troubleshooting -> Startup settings which should get your to the option to start your system in Safe Mode.
BUT
As I've said, I don't know if you can use any of them.

Another option is to boot from the Installation Media and use the Repair your computer link on the second page following the language selection, which again should let you get to Troubleshooting -> Advanced Troubleshooting -> Startup Settings, which allows you to restart the system and boot into Safe Mode.

Sign-in1.PNG

Sign-in2.PNG

Sign-in3.PNG

Sign-in4.PNG

Sign-in5.PNG

Sign-in6.PNG

Reaction score
This issue is slightly different than the one currently being looked at but might be connected. My first computer has the oversized screens issues after the 1803 upgrade and this second computer has 2" x 2" black squares popping up all over the screen randomly. I haven't tried the suggestions you recommended because I'm not sure if I am knowledgeable enough for those tasks. Any suggestions would be appreciated even if it means getting someone professional to fix things. Thank you for listening. .

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I haven't tried the suggestions you recommended because I'm not sure if I am knowledgeable enough for those tasks.
My preliminary suggestions are pretty straight forward and relatively simple, although I realize they may seem daunting for some.

Can you view your "Settings Window" at all or is that also to big for your screen??
Any suggestions would be appreciated even if it means getting someone professional to fix things.
Do you possibly have a family member, friend or neighbor who might be a bit more skilled at chasing down the problem.
It could very well be that a simple setting such as "Magnifier" might be an issue, for which you might try holding down the Windows Logo Key on your keyboard and striking the Esc key.

Reaction score
Sounds like 1803 might be deleting video drivers and just using default drivers to get the computer up and running. They might need to reinstall the proper video card drivers.

Reaction score
First - the answer to whether or not I can view the Settings Window - yes I can, by clicking on the Windows Logo key. When I get there the screen takes up about 3/4 of the monitor. If I press the box in the right hand corner the page becomes to big to view the top, bottom or sides. If there is something I can do on that page please let me know what it is.

In trying these things I realize I may have used the wrong term. The oversize problem begins with my desktop. That is where I have no access to my icons which run down the left hand side and no title bar or task bar. The only thing I have been able to do is what I can get to by using the Windows Logo Key.

Regarding someone else more skilled than me - I am usually the go to person for issues with software etc. but not with reconfiguring hardware. I have seen notices which call for updating video drivers but I don't know where to begin.

One more thing I saw today while trying to get to different places, if I can get to a scroll bar down the side it sometimes seems to have a mind of its own. It sometimes moves up and down erratically before it stops. I don't know if that is a clue to anything but maybe it gives you some more to ponder.

Reaction score
Since I posted this question I found something that has helped. I right clicked on the desktop again to check those display settings which are correct. Above that option I saw a line "Intel Graphics Settings. I clicked on it and it brought up "HP HD Graphics Control Panel". The menu for DISPLAY had an option "scale full screen" so I figured what the heck and chose it. When applied the desktop returned to its normal size with icons showing and the task bar visible also. I don't know if it was the right thing to do but it seems to have worked.
Now what I've got is the start screen is too small. The only thing missing there is the bottom row of small icons for some of my programs. If you have any input on this please help. Thanks.

Reaction score
I do believe that I have found and fixed the start screen problem. I think all my problems are history at this point. Thank to all who helped.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear it.
Thanks for the follow-up info, much appreciated.

Ask a Question